Fungicide on OSR

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I have a hive located within a few metres of a field of OSR. The farmer has informed us that he intends to spray the OSR with fungicide. What are the possible consequences for the colony and the honey?

Thanks

As above I’ve had plenty on osr that has been sprayed, never an issue.

One block of ours was sprayed Last week.
Strangely quite a few colonies decended on the one cottage within a mile to collect water after they had watered their borders.
Just that one evening, maybe they Had pool in one of the fields that was now contaminated.

So no publicised effects.

If he is spraying early in the morning, which can be negotiated, it can pay to close your hives in with dried grass in the entrances eve night before so they only get flying 1-2 hours after the spray has dried.

I’ve got bees right on OSR crops at the moment. They might spray a fungicide but uncertain as the crop is looking very good.

I pointed out around one flower spike every 15m2 had a covering of aphids but they got back to me and said spraying for them is almost pointless as it only knocks back the top layer of the bugs (I was checking in case I needed to close mine in if a pesticide was to be sprayed)

A fellow beekeeper and agronomist confirmed this for me too which was helpful.

Its good to see farmers aren’t just spraying Willy-Nilly and if we get a bit more warm weather the ladybirds will have a feast !

kr

Somerford

Latest posts

Back