Frames in different directions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Does it make a difference if frames in a super are turned 90 degrees to those in the brood box?

For example warm way in the brood box and cold way in the supers, would it make no difference to the bees, or would they be disturbed by the mismatch?

Not planning to do it, just asking to understand better how a hive works.

It is known as the warm way or the cold some believe it makes a difference whilst others do not.
Mine are placed into position for my benefit when doing inspections.
Now if you live at the top or bottom of a windy ridge it may benefit having them the warm way. (Solid wall of wax facing the prevailing wind)

Does it make a difference if frames in a super are turned 90 degrees to those in the brood box?

For example warm way in the brood box and cold way in the supers, would it make no difference to the bees, or would they be disturbed by the mismatch?

Not planning to do it, just asking to understand better how a hive works.

I would not do it ... did it by accident once and the bees decided that comb should run the same way in the super as it did in the brood box .. only like it for a week or so but it had the makings of an unholy mess if I had left it like that.

Think about what bees would have in the wild .. the comb starts at the top of the hive and descends in a continuous vertical plane. We contrive to get bees to keep it simple for the beekeeper - lets not make it even harder for them.

Some do run their hives this way, they have some notion about it preventing the frames being braced between boxes.

I've tried it for 2 years on my home hives to see if it stopped brace comb build and stop the frames in the top box lifting the ones below, should brace comb be built and I didn't really notice any benefit - either for or against.

Andy.

I think ITLD has found that vertical frame alignment is beneficial and that the reason was that hive ventilation was improved.

One difference that having the frames in boxes at 90 degrees to each other would be to change the air flows within the hive.

With frames parallel, the natural air flow will tend to be orderly, up and down each vertical seam (up the warm centre seams, down the cooler side seams) whereas if the frames intersect each other at right angles then there will be a more chaotic air flow in the hive.

Whether this actually makes any difference to the temperature or humidity gradients across the hive I don't know - intuitively it would suggest more air mixing so lower temperature gradients.

Latest posts

Back