Frame sizing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyJThompson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I have a quick question that I am sure some one will know the answer to.
A local large farmer has offered me an apiary, which was managed by a local bee keeper who has now retired. The bees that he kept on in the apiary were in WBC hives which the farmer would like to keep in use. They supply a one of the large supermarkets that do regular inspections and in his words "the supermarket chaps like these sort of proper hives and are the best money can buy". I just agreed!! My question is are he frame size in a WBC the same as in a national they looked similar, I could see they hold one less frame per box, but judging size was difficult with out something to offer up to it. If they are the same then I was hoping to clean up the boxes and put a couple of nucs in I have over wintered. I have spoken to the retired beekeeper they died out this winter from starvation being separated from their stores and fondant.
Any thoughts gratefully received.

Andy

So my next question is what are the pros cons of WBC will it make the job difficult in any way?

The brood box is smaller (ten instead of eleven frames) so the bees get overcrowded quicker, also a lot more fiddly doing inspections as you have to take off the lifts before you even get to the boxes. I'm sure someone with more experience of WBC's than me will elaborate further,

Deafening silence! [ETA: you wait ages and then two come along...]

The big con of WBC inners is that they are not beetight, so do not lend themselves to moving readily. That may not be a problem in this scenario. Also the 11 frame national brood is a small box, so losing another frame does not help matters.

Check the WBC lift dimensions - they are not all identical. You may find some are bigger internally than others, and that some may only stack as a set and/or in a specific order.

Generally (see above!) WBC lifts fit round either National (or Commercial) boxes. Thus you can have pretty looks with better and consistent inner box usage.

Feet rot out but Th*rnes sell plastic replacements that don't.

Last edited:
Andy, if you are worried about the brood size,you can get 14x12 boxes to fit a WBC or use a 14x12 box and use lifts to suit.

Mike.

Just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing in agreeing to the apiary with the condition of using their WBC hive bodies.

Just out of interest how does the supermarket take the honey? Do you have to process and pack it? Do they supply labels etc. that's the bit that would worry me.

They are not interested in the honey, they like the farmer who supplies salads and other crops not sure of all the different varieties to have managed bees on the farm. I think it is very important for the contract though not a written part of it

Arh my mistake.

Why are the supermarket people interested in the hives if they aren't supplied honey. They obviously know little about bees if they insist on WBC.

Just curious?? :/

Why are the supermarket people interested in the hives if they aren't supplied honey. They obviously know little about bees if they insist on WBC.

Just curious?? :/

Part of their CSR/ESG policy. They have the option of sending down a snapper for their shareholder brochure or for local BBC to demonstrate their commitment to nature. In other words, marketing.

They have the option of sending down a snapper for their shareholder brochure or for local BBC to demonstrate their commitment to nature. In other words, marketing.

And the great uwashed think a WBC is THE proper beehive

Speaking as a long-term WBC user...

Pros:
- Look pretty
- Same frames as nationals, so can run both and use the same extractor, etc.
- Can stack supers etc on top of lifts when inspecting, less bending down needed.
- Small brood box lends itself well to double brood

Cons:
- Expensive
- Not bee tight and large external dimensions, so quite fiddly to transport
- Cannot do manipulations that involve multiple entrances (bailey comb change, snelgrove, etc)

Overall... if you already work nationals, then this offer should be very tempting.

I am very tempted there is even a distinct possibility they will provided a shed within the apiary to store kit. The WBC have been left since the beekeeper retired there is evidence of wax month so will scrap all the frames, what would be the process of making sure the wood work is ok to use, does wax moth cause any problems with in a functioning active colony or is it just un-used that they infest.

that's what I had planned I rotate all boxes and scorch them each year so will add them to the list of jobs as long as I get go ahead from farmer tomorrow

After a bit of convincing the farm are going to supply me a shed to store my kit. Went across this morning and picked up the 2 WBC, hives they have a slight wax moth problem but scorching and wire brushing so I am confident that I will get on top of it. Most of the frames are beyond hope so will burn them. One of them is a bout ready to go back out but I have decided to give them a new lick of paint while they are not in use. Really looking forward to getting a permanent site for them, had a wander round the local fields heaps of borage about!!

Latest posts

Back