Frame design

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
So here we are getting ready for spring and having the discussion about frame making.

We have a lot of old sugar syrup frames which we intend to bin this year and replace with fresh foundation.

During our discussion the question of design came up and we agreed that although replacing a frame's wax is not too onerous the removal, cleaning, and refitting of the little bit of wood at the frame bottom is not the most efficient system.

We thought it would be easier if the frame was plastic and could just snap together or pull apart. Do frames like this exist? Are they cheap, do they fit nationals, and do they work more efficiently in practice? I know they may not be traditional but they could be easier to work with, to clean, and will be out of sight so unable to affect the aesthetic of a WBC.

Sam

There are alternatives to wax foundation.

One piece plastic
image.php%20%281%29.jpg

(although the frame shown is for a langstroth I've heard they will be available for Nationals soon)

When you want to clean off the old wax just scrape it off with a plastic scraper, boil or steam and re-coat with fresh wax and its good to reuse.

Or Th****s now sell plastic foundation inserts for BS frames, which is reasonably priced. (bottom of the page)

Plastic Foundation, BS Deep, per sheet £1.28

Plastic Foundation, BS Shallow, per sheet £1.19

Do frames like this exist?

Yes, they do. I considered trying them but they could not compete with Th*rne seconds and no 14 x 12 variant was available.

One of the 'engineering' suppliers can/do supply. Not sure which supplier, but a search through them will eventually reveal the name.

I've not heard of any complete national frames being made at the present time or even mooted.

Regards, RAB

If you are looking to make life simpler and one hopes cheaper, why not just simply wire the frames, four small holes in line with the groove in the side bar and either wire or fishing line woven through the holes with the ends held with a frame pins. If new frames a small starter strip if old cleaned frames no need for starter frame and the bees will do the rest.

Would you use the plastic frames for brood too? Also if they are dark like the one shown above does this make inspection more difficult such as making it harder to see eggs?

Eggs are easier to see against the black in my experience. I also use them in the brood chamber without problems. If the bees want to make drones they just ignore the platic indentations and make comb of the right size.

Latest posts

Back