foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Pick up a swarm yesturday put them in a hive only with 5 frames of foundation dummy boards either side the bees have settled in i hope put 1 to 1 syrup in a rapid feeder
the question is i saw bees bringing in pollen could the bees have draw enought comb on the foundation in 24 hrs to store it in the:cheers2: cells

having collected a swarm 4 days after it arrived I had 3 large dinner plate fans of comb to deal with. so would imagine they have drawn something??

Yes and I hope not but just may have ignored your foundation and built comb in the other side of the dummy boards.

the question is i saw bees bringing in pollen could the bees have draw enought comb on the foundation in 24 hrs to store it in the:cheers2: cells

Easily.

You didn't give indication of the size of swarm but you need to hope that those dummy boards do not get in the way of their comb building, especially seen as you plan to feed.

the swarm was only the size of a large pineapple (1.22kg) weighed box of bees then deducted the weight of the box and branch they was on
made some more brood frames today but i dont wont to disturb them now for at least 10 days whats your thoughts on that
Thanks in advance Alan

Who told you to feed them!

the normal procedure is not to feed for three or four days to make them use up there reserves of honey drawing out comb, then no pathogens lurk in their store honey to pass on to the new brood

It is sometimes difficult to gauge the size of a swarm until you see it over some frames, but it is no real failing with a swarm to give them 'too much' space. When hiving a swarm I think it is just as well to fill the box up with frames to save on disturbance.

I'd give them a couple of days. Small amount of smoke as you lift the four corners of the crownboard with your hive tool ... and then remove the crownboard. Centre the occupied frames in the hive ... fill up the rest of the hive with the other frames. Aim not to squash a single bee.

Even small and modest sized swarms can work with vigour. Depending on how long the swarm has been on the wing, each bee will carry with it a reserve of honey which the swarm can quickly convert into wax.

Thought feeding would encourage them to build looking through threads from from late last year people was advised to feed 1 to 1 to help them build comb or have i miss understood :eek::grouphug:
Dont think they have used any as feeder still full will leave it there now though

Last edited:
Yes and I hope not but just may have ignored your foundation and built comb in the other side of the dummy boards.

:iagree:
I bet they will..
To stop this fill the hive with frames and manage them later by moving the dummy boards outwards as required.

Feed
Ideally only feed a small amount if required after a 3-5 days of little progress drawing out their frames.

Last edited:
Please don't feed them. There is plenty of food out there at this time of the year.

Good luck :cheers2:

Interesting the do not feed line comes from the Londoners.

I was taught hive swarm and feed, but I was learning (and still being taught by the bees) in a colder clime.

There is no hard and fast rule, if the weather is lovely like it is here today, 21C then no need to feed. If it turns horrible, wet and cold then yes by all means offer some support after all they are working hard.

PH

Latest posts

Back