Forum Members in The North East?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jazz. I am too much a beginner still. You would definitely learn how not to do it. :rolleyes:
Have you considered joining an Association? I joined Alnwick and District and they have been excellent. I could have joined Newcastle but Felton is easier for me to get to. I had already done a course but they also ran a course which was was free. they have an Apiary of about 22 hives plus discounted starter kits etc. They use Apiary to let beginners to have some hands on experience. They run talks in the winter which are informative.
Even with 2 courses completed and my first colony gifted to me by Millet last summer I am still not a confident Beek as my posts will show.:rolleyes:

Hi Mike,

Well I've signed up for a course on 4th May and that gives me "friend" status. I've asked about joining properly and they knocked me back and told me to wait until I have my own bees.
I'll email again and see if I can pop down when they're opening up the hives.

Which association was that as that is a very strange attitude? Virtually none of the people on my association course had bees and a couple still don't. They are living creatures and deserve respect.
Before I started this journey, I thought Beekeeping was easy. Get a hive, put some bees in it and harvest the honey at the end of the summer. Simples as Aleksandr would say. Strange how it didn't pan out that way.

Which association was that as that is a very strange attitude? Virtually none of the people on my association course had bees and a couple still don't. They are living creatures and deserve respect.
Before I started this journey, I thought Beekeeping was easy. Get a hive, put some bees in it and harvest the honey at the end of the summer. Simples as Aleksandr would say. Strange how it didn't pan out that way.

Sorry Mike I read this and forgot to reply! I'd rather not name the association as I'm on a course with them next month. I have received another email saying apiary meetings will be starting up soon so that should be good.

That's how I started 40 odd years ago. I still remember catching bees on flowers and putting them in the top of my new hive hoping they would breed. I was put right by a passing beekeeper who became my invaluable mentor!
E

That's how I started 40 odd years ago. I still remember catching bees on flowers and putting them in the top of my new hive hoping they would breed. I was put right by a passing beekeeper who became my invaluable mentor!
E

I might have to try that and hope an experienced beekeeper passes by :smilielol5:

Hi Jazz
beekeeper, currently 6 colonies on the Gateshead / Durham / Northumberland border and would happily be involved in your plans but I'm in the process of moving countries so selling up after 20 odd years of beekeeping (Hexham Beekeepers Association currently and would recommend to you). Wishing you luck and hours of enjoyment / frustration in equal measures

Hi Jazz
beekeeper, currently 6 colonies on the Gateshead / Durham / Northumberland border and would happily be involved in your plans but I'm in the process of moving countries so selling up after 20 odd years of beekeeping (Hexham Beekeepers Association currently and would recommend to you). Wishing you luck and hours of enjoyment / frustration in equal measures

Hi onriver,

Thanks for dropping by though! Will you start up again after moving or is that it now?

Latest posts

Back