fondent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
hi every body can any one tell me if this ready to roll icing from lidl is good as fondent it has the same contents as the one i got from the whole sellers . it comes in 500gm and it is made up by the following,
energy 1735k
protein0g
carbohydrates 87.4gof which sugars 86.1g
fat 6.7g of which saturated 3.0g
fiber 0.2g
sodium trace
salt equivalent trace

the ingredients are suger,syrup,veg oil,water.humectant,glycerine,stabiliser:xanthangum,carboxymethyl,cellulose,preservative, potassium sorbate,emuulsiffier monanddiglycerides of fattyacides, naturalflavouring. it is a bit softer than the one i got from the whole seller. any feed back will be helpfull. regardsbee-smillie

I am not sure but I believe it would be a big NO.

these ingredients cause me concern.
syrup,veg oil,humectant,stabiliser:xanthangu m,carboxymethyl,cellulose,preservative, potassium sorbate,emuulsiffier monanddiglycerides of fattyacides, natural flavouring

I know if you make your own you only include sugar, water and maybe glycerine (some people add varroa treatments in to but I dont think any of the above come under varroa treatments)

I will wait for greater minds to come forth and pass comment.

MM...........why would i need to see that thread?

Last edited:
tesco now sell an fondant made by silver spoon, the ingrediants are icing sugar and glucose, it's about 85p per 500grams, probable a safer bet than the one you've got there.

Frith

I have tried making my own :ack2:- followed all recipes and have right thermometer- Rock of Ages comes to mind- poor bees would die of exhaustion trying to munch it :svengo:- Cheaper to buy from the bee farm than keep wasting the sugar

right thermometer- Rock of Ages

Heather, the right thermometer might be wrong!

It seems your only fault is too high a boiling temperature, so reducing your (apparent target) reading should result in softer fondant. It does work. Have you tried the drop test of a blob into cold water before proceeding further? I'm no cook (I am good at hard boiled eggs and microwaving baked beans!), but that seems to be the only reason for a too-hard product.

Regards, RAB

right thermometer- Rock of Ages

Heather, the right thermometer might be wrong!

It seems your only fault is too high a boiling temperature, so reducing your (apparent target) reading should result in softer fondant. It does work. Have you tried the drop test of a blob into cold water before proceeding further? I'm no cook (I am good at hard boiled eggs and microwaving baked beans!), but that seems to be the only reason for a too-hard product.

Regards, RAB

:iagree:
You also need to get it into cold water asap as the sugar solution retains a tremendous amount of heat (energy) and once in the water stir until it goes a milky colour and thickens.
Cheers
S

I have been reading lots about Fondant on this site for weeks and it is generally agreed that this is not suitable.
Recipes on this site to make your own, do a search. I plan to make some when my bought stuff runs out. Good luck.

hi just bought mine from local butcher £7-95 for 12-5kg comes from bako. but my question is how long can it be kept before it goes off and where to keep it

hi just bought mine from local butcher £7-95 for 12-5kg comes from bako. but my question is how long can it be kept before it goes off and where to keep it

Be fine for a couple of years or more,if you keep it wrapped it will remain fairly moist.

:iagree:
You also need to get it into cold water asap as the sugar solution retains a tremendous amount of heat (energy) and once in the water stir until it goes a milky colour and thickens.
Cheers
S

Re: Lidl's fondant, Aldi's is very similar! Anyone know what's the ingredient list of Bako fondant? (never bought any so not seen a label) would it not be along the same lines?
Regards
TBRNoTB

Re: Lidl's fondant, Aldi's is very similar! Anyone know what's the ingredient list of Bako fondant? (never bought any so not seen a label) would it not be along the same lines?
Regards
TBRNoTB
Bako fondant ingrediants..........Sugar,glucose syrup,water.
and contains sulphur dioxide,the latter is a new one.

Back