Fondant heads up.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Went to check the bees today and found several of the nucs were clean out of fondant and others getting near to it.

They are now fed again and I will check weekly I think instead of fortnightly.

You might want to check your own.

PH

I remember Finman, RAB and others discussing that over-feeding before spring can have a detrimental effect on the spring population explosion, and several people seem to have a Christmas present of fondant lined up for their girls - but is there any harm in putting fondant down now in a colony that is probably OK for stores, even if its only to reassure an inexperienced and nervous beek?

No problem Mons A.
They will take it if they need it,if not it can stay on until spring.
Wrap it in cling film and cut a slot for them to take it from.

PH,

What size are your nucs and how much do you add fortnightly, or weekly?

The two polys we brought home last week were really too heavy for my wife to carry.

Regards, RAB

National, some are very strong others less so due to the probs I had just at the wrong time.

I put on I suppose about 2kg at a time.

PH

2KG sounds good PH,I think fondant is about 12% water ?
So most of it is sugar.

Is a block of fondant icing from a supermarket ok?

Doubtful. What else, other than sugar and water does it contain? If just sugar and water it would be OK.

RAB

I still have to make some having been scalded at the weekend for suggesting that Tesco Fondant is a good deal : ) only kiddin chaps.

I do have a Q tho, why did my first attempt at making Fondant end up a block of hard sugar syrup?

Assuming temperature wasn't right...!!! Also didn't use glucose syrup... Last few years have been using Fondant from my local bakery which is sadly no more so bow having to brave it in the kitchen.

Not sure, maybe you boiled it to long or at to high a temp.

I still have to make some having been scalded at the weekend for suggesting that Tesco Fondant is a good deal : ) only kiddin chaps.

I do have a Q tho, why did my first attempt at making Fondant end up a block of hard sugar syrup?

Assuming temperature wasn't right...!!! Also didn't use glucose syrup... Last few years have been using Fondant from my local bakery which is sadly no more so bow having to brave it in the kitchen.

Likley to be temp too high and you need to use glucose syrup to keep it soft.
Better luck next time, remember sugar holds and retains a tremendous amount of energy when boiled so you need to plunge pan into cold water as soon as it reaches 'soft ball' (240 F)
Cheers
S

guys, i live in scotland - east coast. got a new hive beginning of summer. should i be putting fondant on now?

guys, i live in scotland - east coast. got a new hive beginning of summer. should i be putting fondant on now?

I stay just up the road in Perth. I put 12kg of fondant on each of my hives on Sunday. Hives got their fondant on 21st Nov last year and all worked out well, so I would say now would be a good time.

Likley to be temp too high and you need to use glucose syrup to keep it soft.
Better luck next time, remember sugar holds and retains a tremendous amount of energy when boiled so you need to plunge pan into cold water as soon as it reaches 'soft ball' (240 F)
Cheers
S

That's the thing, didn't measure the temperature will give it another go.

My hives do have quite a lot of stores thanks to the HB but I'm still going to feed about 5-10kg before Christmas and see how they take it.

No problem Mons A.
They will take it if they need it,if not it can stay on until spring.
Wrap it in cling film and cut a slot for them to take it from.

This is probably a silly question, but if the bees eat all the fondant, would they also chew through the cling film, thereby ending up in the roof space and getting cold? Would an upsidedown takeaway container over the top be a good idea to retain heat?

Not sure if the chew clingfilm, but I use a Carte D'or container. They never chewed that yet.

Also, being clear (as opposed to a cardboard takeaway container) you can see if there is any left.

I've done that but how do you put on a new container? There's no fondant left but the container is still full of bees. The same hive that gave me a fat finger ......ouch.

Latest posts

Back