Flying cancelled!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nordicul

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I’m still in the honeymoon period with my bees, and remain in awe of them. Yesterday was the first time I’d really appreciated their flying abilities. It was blowing a gale , I’ve no anemometer but from the way the trees were blowing and how gusty it was, I recon 35 to 40 mph or stronger.

How they were flying in it, I don’t know but they were. Piling out and in, returning with loads of catkin pollen. The nearest Willow is about 100 feet away.

I could see them being buffeted around as they made their approach or took off, like one of these scarey YouTube’s of planes in storms.

Any idea as to what kind of losses they suffer when foraging in this weather.

Apart from blocking their entrance and putting up a no flying today sign,can anything else be done to protect them from themselves?

If they are nice dark Amm... no problem they have adapted to the northern maritime often windy conditions...
If they are Mediterranean C type... possibly erect some wind breaks around the apiary as they can be a bit on the softie side... or not!!

March winds etc etc....

Perhaps you should come and tell my exotics that they shouldn't be out bringing in pollen in these gales as well. After all some where only imported last year so how could they possibly have adapted so quickly to fly in these windy conditions [sarcasm off].

More propaganda from the Black Bee brigade.

More propaganda from the Black Bee brigade.

Indeed.
My Amc seem completely unaware that they should be delicate little things, cowering in their hives, afraid to venture forth just because of a little wind/rain. They mustn't be reading the same books that Icanhopit/Cheers does.

Don't care what flavour my bees are, it's just bl**dy impressive that any of them make it home again over the last few days.

So they get the direction of some pollen via a waggle dance in the dark, barely pause on the landing board, head out and within 5 minutes find themselves half a mile downwind. Flying at any height over the houses would mean they'd end up in the North Sea. Do they hedge-hop? Do they slipstream cars going in the right direction?

. . . . Ben

Indeed.
My Amc seem completely unaware that they should be delicate little things, cowering in their hives, afraid to venture forth just because of a little wind/rain. They mustn't be reading the same books that Icanhopit/Cheers does.

Some it would seem totally lack any sense of humour:cheers2:

Mrs May and her lot have deprived me of the ability to laugh anymore.

A friend and I decided we would ignore the news about Brexit from October 2018. Not only are we happier than those who follow it, it would appear nothing has happened since then and nothing is likely to happen in the future...

So we are free to spend our time on more productive pastimes : like drinking, exercise and in my future; beekeeping...
And happier as well.

In your dreams hoppy....in your dreams.
I make it a point to never follow links to u-tube vids as no idea what I'm going to see....so basically any u-tube links are totally lost on me.

Latest posts

Back