First visit to a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulhipwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Lesley and I went to Hedgerow Petes allotment. He had very kindly offered to show his set up.
We had never been near a hive before and a couple of weeks ago thought it would be a good idea to get some bees.
So we turned up after reading a few articles, which were mainly goble de goop.
Within a few minutes of meeting Pete we realised that some of what we had read was falling into place.
Pete kitted us out and he first showed us an empty WBC and a National. He explained the various bits and pieces.
We then entered the Bee Sheed where he has two hives. He gave us clear instructions on what we must do and left the door open incase we were not happy.
He then opened the smaller hive up ad showed us how to handle the bees.
We saw pollen, brood, stores, drones and workers.
It was a lot to take in but I am sure some of it has stuck.
We then had a chat about different hives and locations. We left Pete after about hour and a half and in the car we decided we would probably have a go.
There a re now a lot of answers required and decisions to make. We need to get our thoughts together and make a few more posts.
We would like to thank Hedgerow Pete for his time and knowledge, its so good to meet such a helpfull and freindly person.

regards
paul and les

Pete seems a great guy (finally met him at stoneleigh last weekend).

before you decide on a type of hive or get any bees you need to find a suitable tea bucket!!!

Pete seems a great guy (finally met him at stoneleigh last weekend).

before you decide on a type of hive or get any bees you need to find a suitable tea bucket!!!

Everything up here starts with a brew.:rofl:

I hope you have many happy bee keeping days ahead of you :sifone:

OK have got the tea sorted.
We have booked a bee keeping experience for next week end (we had done this before seeing Pete).

We do not want to make hives ourself - I am good at starting jobs but do not finish them all.
We are going to site the hive, where our daughter keeps her horses, its about 3 acres. The farms around the area grow grass for haylege.

We are thinking of getting a Poly hive as I think there are some advantages.
The problem is what type to have. Trying to find suppliers is a problem.

This forum does seems to "disguse" manufacturers and avoid giving links - is there a reason for this?
Has anyone generated a list of suppliers?
Are there any in the Midlands we can visit?

best regards
paul and les

Hi Paul and Les
Yes we do blank out company names,the reason for it is because we have a few members who supply/make products and to make things fair to them all we dont allow advertising.

If you read through a few posts and ask questions you should be able to see who will supply/make the type of kit you are after.

If you dont get a reply on the forum then you may get a pm with a few pointers from members.

OK have got the tea sorted.
We have booked a bee keeping experience for next week end (we had done this before seeing Pete).

We do not want to make hives ourself - I am good at starting jobs but do not finish them all.
We are going to site the hive, where our daughter keeps her horses, its about 3 acres. The farms around the area grow grass for haylege.

We are thinking of getting a Poly hive as I think there are some advantages.
The problem is what type to have. Trying to find suppliers is a problem.

This forum does seems to "disguse" manufacturers and avoid giving links - is there a reason for this?
Has anyone generated a list of suppliers?
Are there any in the Midlands we can visit?

best regards
paul and les

As this forum is free and un-biased and does not include any adverts, members are asked not to advertise any manufacturers / suppliers.

This is the reason why names / links are hidden.

As has been said, a google search for beekeeping supplies will bring up all the suppliers.

As to which model / type of hive, every beekeeper has their own preference and reasons for that choice and it comes down to a personal choice.

Joining a local association and asking advice or seeing hives often helps you make up your own mind which kind you would like.

Hi Paul and Les

As someone who is just starting out (well actually revisiting when I used to stand around in short trousers while my dad 'did the bees'), and eagerly awaiting collection of nucs, I can tell you what I have done so far.
First of all it is very useful to join the local association; I have also been on a beginners course over the winter and read a few books.
I have gone for 14x12 Deep National hives in cedar; there is friendly rivalry in the local branch between Deep Nationals and Commercials, all a matter of taste. I was able to buy the hives for self assembly through the association, which saved quite a bit on the list price. We also got brochures from most of the main manufacturers, and a few smaller ones, at the course. I would say a course would be a very helpful thing to do before you start.

Good luck.

Dave

We are going on a afternoon Bee introduction at Clevdon next week end.
In the Midlands there do not seem to be any local courses at the moment.
There is the local Hagley & Stourbridge Beekeepers Association
by us, which we may join.
Are there any members on this forum?

regards
paul and les

Don't put the hives where the horses can get close. Bees don't like horses and vice versa

Our horses are pretty daft and tend to kick things all over the place (including their feed buckets). We have a fenced off area that has a small shed, we were gong to put them in there.
paul and les

glad i could be of some help.

it was a helpfull sort of day yesterday as i popped round to look at lead legs new nuc too

Pete
Finaly understand your post "Lead legs" is a forum member who lives in S***wick.
Going for a bee taster today in Cleveden. We are sure that if it goes well we will start in earnest.
Need to get a shopping list started.

regards
pau and les

We are going on a afternoon Bee introduction at Clevdon next week end.
In the Midlands there do not seem to be any local courses at the moment.
There is the local Hagley & Stourbridge Beekeepers Association
by us, which we may join.
Are there any members on this forum?

regards
paul and les

A taster session won't be enough to get you through. Though I dare say, if you promisento be Pete's tea slave and carry hisnstuff, he may givenyou a bit of experience.

But don't stop reading. It will prove invaluable to be able to assess all the various advice you will be offered.

Back