First honey harvest.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow ! in $ NZ, that's about $29.40 / kilo

Factory honey in the shop here is $ 21 > 26 (This is multiflora, & not manuka with any activity value )

If I sell bulk to a processor. maybe $10.5 > 12 a kilo

would you be interested in fogging a coupe of 300 k drums off ?
As I only have two hives you might have to wait a few years! :)

when does the chestnut come out? I have quite a few sweet chestnut trees near one of my apairies.
Chestnut is and has been out over a week in the south east

I have 70-80lb of dark yellow pungent honey from the tail end of last season . Still cant work out what it is . Very strong smelling . Not very nice at all . With the lack of nectar around i may feed it back to them .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

(This is multiflora, & not manuka with any activity value
What exactly is it they measure for this manuka activity. I know it's something to do with antibiotic activity, but my understanding stops there.
No disrespect to New Zealand producers, but it's one hell of a price....I'd love to get that amount of money for my honey. Top ones sell for over £30 for 250g jars over here.
As an English honey seller Manuka is a dirty word in my vocabulary :D

deanrpwaaca. Your dark yellow pungent honey may well be ragwort. Ideal honey to give your least favoured relatives if you run out of privet honey!

deanrpwaaca. Your dark yellow pungent honey may well be ragwort. Ideal honey to give your least favoured relatives if you run out of privet honey!
Tastes ok but it has a smell about it . Its a lot to give away to the people i dont like [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

What exactly is it they measure for this manuka activity. I know it's something to do with antibiotic activity, but my understanding stops there.
No disrespect to New Zealand producers, but it's one hell of a price....I'd love to get that amount of money for my honey. Top ones sell for over £30 for 250g jars over here.
As an English honey seller Manuka is a dirty word in my vocabulary :D

there are new trial standards, up for discussion, published by MPI, ( ministry of primary industries ) this whole debate on what is ' MANUKA ' honey is, and how to identify it's quality &c The whole manuka industry is corrupt!!! ...where's there is BIG money, there's bad people ...RIGHT ? If this isn't sorted,it will leave a nasty taste in many mouths, and stain our reputation as great honey, ... so bang go any good export opportunities

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/growing-and-producing/bees-and-other-insects/manuka-honey/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...ka-honey-definition-to-deal-with-fraud-claims

we now have the Aussies claiming that there honey from 'manuka ' type trees
is more potet than ours, ...what next ?

The one thing I regret is never saving one jar from every harvest, just to see how the colour and consistency changes from year to year. Something you don't think about when you start. I would have had thirty five different jars by now!
E

Take photo :paparazzi:

Holy cow ! in $ NZ, that's about $29.40 / kilo

Factory honey in the shop here is $ 21 > 26 (This is multiflora, & not manuka with any activity value )

If I sell bulk to a processor. maybe $10.5 > 12 a kilo

would you be interested in fogging a coupe of 300 k drums off ?
Yeah send it over. I'll pay once it's all sold ok ;)

Latest posts

Back