First extraction...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
Extracted my first honey today. Lovely dark caramel colour, good and runny. Don't know what might be the main constituents, but really nice.

However, didn't put the super back above the crown board, but moved the crown board above. What difference does this make? I'd have tight none.

However, didn't put the super back above the crown board, but moved the crown board above. What difference does this make? I'd have tight none.

The colony will start to fill the super again, the crownboard between the chambers makes them think the super is outside the hive so they effectively rob it clean and move the last of the honey down. I know several bee keepers who do what you have so any Ivy nectar is put in the super and not in the brood chamber where it can set solid, this is then removed before feeding starts.

Out of interest is there a QX between the brood and super?
If not then the queen may well pay a visit to your super and leave you a few surprises :)

As I understand it, if you put the wet super above the crown board and open up the feed hole the bees consider it to be outside their hive and will clean up the super and bring any honey they find down into the brood box.

Having said that, when I put my wet super on above the crown board the bees cleaned it up ok, but packed any honey they found into a few cells on each super frame. They even capped the cells!

Out of interest is there a QX between the brood and super?
If not then the queen may well pay a visit to your super and leave you a few surprises :)

There is a QX and a further four supers between the BB and this super, Mike. If she manages to get through there, I'll put her in for a Duke of Edinburgh award.

I get the point of the board, now, but given I am in the south and they were collecting into October last year, it should do no harm. It was what I had hoped the would do in any case.

Dunno when I'll get it all off for the apigard, mind.

Dunno when I'll get it all off for the apigard, mind.

I did the same, then they started to fill the super again. I have had to place the super above the crownboard while i do the apiguard treatment. Then i will bring it back down for them to finish off with the ivy. Then I will feed them for the winter

In the mean time i had put a super back on to give them space, but they have drawn out the comb on this super and are starting to fill it up with HB nectar...

I did the same, then they started to fill the super again. I have had to place the super above the crownboard while i do the apiguard treatment. Then i will bring it back down for them to finish off with the ivy. Then I will feed them for the winter

In the mean time i had put a super back on to give them space, but they have drawn out the comb on this super and are starting to fill it up with HB nectar...

Won't being above the crown board still be affected by Apigard?

Won't being above the crown board still be affected by Apigard?

Yes, but Ivy honey is a foul tasting poison for those with limited taste buds I doubt anyone will notice. :eek:

:biggrinjester:

Last edited:
Back