Feeding/attracting wildlife near hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to be careful leaving food out. Having spotted a hedgehog on our lawn on a very cold night I put some dog food out on a saucer for a few nights. It was being taken so we put a camera out hoping to catch a glimpse of him. We certainly did get wildlife on the camera.....a fox! My immediate question to Stan was......."Do foxes eat hedgehogs?"

We put out catfood for hedgehogs - and got badgers..
Lots of badgers here - they love hedgehog.

New motto for the RSPCA "Save a hedgehog, kill a badger"

That will go down well..

What about black squirrels? We have one of those runnig around the village.

Friendly with the Grey ones?

If it is Black and bigger than a red
shoot it. simples.

It ain't Quantum Physics!

:iagree:

Anyone hear Michael Heseltine on radio 2 this afternoon, he has a bit of a thing for Grey Squirrels!

Last edited:
We put out catfood for hedgehogs - and got badgers..
Lots of badgers here - they love hedgehog.
They also love bumble bee nests. No coincidence that the drop in bumble numbers coincides with the badger population explosion?

Beginning to sound like the daily mail now...............whatever the problem select
A) immigrants
or
b) Badgers
In fact, blame the demise of bees on badger population explosion triggered by immigration!!!

:D

You have to be careful leaving food out. Having spotted a hedgehog on our lawn on a very cold night I put some dog food out on a saucer for a few nights. It was being taken so we put a camera out hoping to catch a glimpse of him. We certainly did get wildlife on the camera.....a fox! My immediate question to Stan was......."Do foxes eat hedgehogs?"

If a Hedgehog is out on a cold night at this time of the year it could be too light to survive winter they need to weigh around 400 - 600grm , if i find one below that weight it gets taken to the Hedgehog Rescue.

Yes...I used to look after a lot of them
He is a big male and looked quite fat. I haven't seen him on camera since it got really cold. He had a definite routine so he is probably tucked up somewhere safe.

Yes...I used to look after a lot of them
He is a big male and looked quite fat. I haven't seen him on camera since it got really cold. He had a definite routine so he is probably tucked up somewhere safe.
Its a good job you know your onions ;) , most folk are unaware of there habits or even what to feed them, no food containing fish and milk a definite NO NO, they do love mealworms though, dry ones are ok but live ones are like caviar to them. lol .

Black Squirrel.

Greetings from a very rainy Spain,
Yes folks we are having our wettest time since last year, the bees are all tucked up waiting for it to pass and when it does the whole area will start to come to life with the little rock roses ,awesome little plants which the bees enjoy,
Anyway, onto Black Squirrels, its the only one we see and it lives in the pine woods and according to research there are no Grey Squirrels in Spain,

What about black squirrels? We have one of those runnig around the village.

It's unlikely to be a black phase red squirrel, though they do exist! Reds can also be a buff-ish colour that can be misleading, making them look more grey than red.

Latest posts

Back