Feed???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigletwillie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have an old nuc in my back garden that requires a new lid. Before I got round to replacing it a small swarm colonised it in July. Of a great temperament (4 kids and a dog just a yard away) with no pinging or aggression I finally moved the swarm into a full sized national today. They have drawn out all five frames in the nuc and there is plenty of brood but not much in the way of stores. I have no drawn out comb so have added virgin foundation to fill the brood box Plus a dummy board.

If I feed them well are they likely to draw out the comb so they can add extra stores I feed as well as what they are foraging? They are bringing back lots of bright yellow pollen and the weather is set fair for a week or so.

Only one way to find out! Current warm weather in your favour. Maybe feed 1:1 to start with, as one does in the spring? Maybe give them a couple of frames of stores from a well-provisioned colony?

Last edited:
Only one way to find out! Current warm weather in your favour. Maybe feed 1:1 to start with, as one does in the spring?
Yeah thin syrup should be better, gives them more volume so they will have to make comb to put it in as well. Hope it works.

Well, they have drawn out and started filling frames 7 and 8 now. Yesterday I put on another 5ltr feed, the last one they guzzled down, they are still bringing in pollen by the bucket load so hopefully if I get another week or reasonable weather I will have a hive ready for winter.

Back