FAO Jenkinsbrynmair

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
Trouble is, all that extra space you're giving them between the bottom of the top brood frames and the topbars of the super is going to encourage brace comb - much easier just to get four pieces of 10mm batten and make a shim/eke.

Thank you for that i now understand the reasoning ;) , and now i know why i should not use a extra floor would it be better to use a snelgrove board rather than a 10mm mini eke as i can make a snelgrove board pretty easy,
I may never use the Demaree but if i need too i have my rifle fully loaded, regardless of that all these different methods mentioned in the original post have me intrigued and i could read them all day long if i had the time..

millet you might have got a quicker reply if you had private messaged JBM instead of making a new thread.

Trouble is, all that extra space you're giving them between the bottom of the top brood frames and the topbars of the super is going to encourage brace comb - much easier just to get four pieces of 10mm batten and make a shim/eke.

Thank you for that i now understand the reasoning ;) , and now i know why i should not use a extra floor would it be better to use a snelgrove board rather than a 10mm mini eke as i can make a snelgrove board pretty easy,
I may never use the Demaree but if i need too i have my rifle fully loaded, regardless of that all these different methods mentioned in the original post have me intrigued and i could read them all day long if i had the time..

you don't need a full Snelgrove board, as you only need the one entrance, but yes, I've just made up some Demarree boards, 6mm edge on the bottom side to give top beespace over the supers, 10 or so mm on the top side to give additional bottom beespace on the brood box with a small entrance (20mm is ample) on one side - cut a four inch hole in the middle of the board and cover with a piece of flat metal queen excluder to allow free passage of bees throughout the hive but stop drones from getting into the supers.

Latest posts

Back