Fake Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

Just been director to this in West Sussex it may be of interest -

Food fraud probe uncovers fake honey

Date: 08 June 2011
Press Release Number: 4458

A fake food fraud probe by West Sussex County Council Trading Standards Service led to officers seizing 1.1 tonnes of counterfeit honey from a London importer.

They went to the importer’s premises after discovering the problem at a Worthing retailer, where samples were taken and confirmed to be illegal.
“The tests showed they did not contain any honey at all – just a syrup based substance. This led us to visiting the suppliers, where we found so-called Hasbal Honey with Syrup and so-called Aynoor Honey with Nuts,” said Graeme MacPherson, Head of Trading Standards.

“The retail value of the illegal goods totalled £7740. Investigations are ongoing but we would urge the public to look out for these products and notify us”.

Pete Bradbury, County Council Cabinet Member for Public Protection, said: “Our Trading Standards Service will continue to crackdown on food fraud in our county because it protects both the consumer and commerce.
“This work highlights the importance of food traceability as officers were able to identify the source of the offending product and remove it quickly from the market.

“We have ensured that consumers get true value for their money and commerce is supported because the sale of fake goods impacts upon legitimate honey producers.”

http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/your_c...june_2011/food_fraud_probe_uncovers_fake.aspx

A pity there is not a picture of the products to look out for - my memory for product names is pretty poor but I will certainly try to be aware - never heard of fake honey before!

I was shown this in a Daily Mirror column back in June. Have they actually prosecuted the cheeky fakers yet?

Fake honey is easy to make, you feed bees sugar water...

We have a bottler here in the US that tests their honey for sugar syrup and has found as high as 30% syrup in honey they have bought.

If the bees store the syrup at all, even in the brood box, you honey crop for the year will be contaminated.

I read somewhere of the various ways of testing honey. One was using red wine but cat remember the process.

It didnt involve drinking the wine:cool:

I would imagine that any test involves evaluation of the relative proportions of sucrose, fructose and glucose (?)

I would imagine that any test involves evaluation of the relative proportions of sucrose, fructose and glucose (?)

Exactly; In pure honey Sucrose makes up less then 9%, If you have more then that the honey is adulterated. They test for HFCS the same way only looking at the glucose and fructose content.

I think they also check for pollen grains, as I understand useful help towards country of origin.

Just been director to this in West Sussex it may be of interest -

Food fraud probe uncovers fake honey

Date: 08 June 2011
Press Release Number: 4458

A fake food fraud probe by West Sussex County Council Trading Standards Service led to officers seizing 1.1 tonnes of counterfeit honey from a London importer.

They went to the importer’s premises after discovering the problem at a Worthing retailer, where samples were taken and confirmed to be illegal.
“The tests showed they did not contain any honey at all – just a syrup based substance. This led us to visiting the suppliers, where we found so-called Hasbal Honey with Syrup and so-called Aynoor Honey with Nuts,” said Graeme MacPherson, Head of Trading Standards.

“The retail value of the illegal goods totalled £7740. Investigations are ongoing but we would urge the public to look out for these products and notify us”.

Pete Bradbury, County Council Cabinet Member for Public Protection, said: “Our Trading Standards Service will continue to crackdown on food fraud in our county because it protects both the consumer and commerce.
“This work highlights the importance of food traceability as officers were able to identify the source of the offending product and remove it quickly from the market.

“We have ensured that consumers get true value for their money and commerce is supported because the sale of fake goods impacts upon legitimate honey producers.”

http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/your_c...june_2011/food_fraud_probe_uncovers_fake.aspx

Its still on sale i saw it in a store on wednesday in worthing was very surprised at the price £3+ for 12oz didnt know this is ongoing will contact trading standards straight away.

the shop keeper is a muslim lady im not sure if she is aware of the problem am concerned for her now.

In pure honey Sucrose makes up less then 9%,

Not sure of an absolute value, but Trading Standards would be checking the origin ofthe honey (types of pollen grains) and comparing with historical data. OSR originated honey would have a typical sugar ratio (as well as a total sucrose content) somewhat different to say, field beans, for instance. There would also be other indicators, colour, pH, etc.

Once alerted Trading Standards would check further (than any one single sample, in most cases, to build up a better picture before bringing a case to court), but once they have a suspicion they would retain that information for future reminders to check other samples from that supplier ... if the evidence was presently insufficient to ensure a successful court case.

RAB

not sure which book i read it in but i think it said that they test the ph of the honey as sugar syrup(even after being stored by bees) is nearly neutral and honey is not.

I have not tested this but intend to when i do my winter feed.

Latest posts

Back