Extracting honey that should have been cut comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batcher

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi.
I helped a friend last night take cut comb frames from his hive. It looked good and we carefully cut the comb out.... Alas, the container lids that I bought from a well known supplier do not fit the containers.... One corner always pops up. Its so annoying when these suppliers sell things that are not fit for purpose. (maybe it time to name and shame).... Newbies are ripe for these people.
Anyway, I digress. My own hives Cut comb super is capped and ready to go, but I cannot, of course, use this for cut comb now due to the substandard containers..... I know I have rights and I will exercise these in due course, but that does not help this weekend. What is the best way to extract these frames?
Or can I leave them on the hive untill/if I am able to resolve the container issue.
Thanks all....

leave them on or cut them out smash them up and drain the honey out in a muslin cloth

The white containers have had issues with lids for years - the supplier has highlighted this - probably why they were all on sale last year. - either leave the frames in the hive until the issue sorted or extract as normal bu just take it gently in the extractor - I've done this on more than one occasion

Hi Batcher

I accidentally put a couple of frames that had no wire in (was for cut comb) in the extracted with the other (wired) frames. They both survived with apparent damage to them. I was possibly very lucky...so wouldn't want to send you in that direction if it goes wrong for you. But I was surprised by the outcome when I realised what I had down.

It was an error on my behalf, but on saying that, it worked out OK for me.

Not sure if you want to risk it though!

Sally

Chunk it and put it jars with honey, then charge double, simple!
E

Or wrap/cover with cling film and put in freezer, then defrost and transfer when have new containers. I store entire frames this way if I want to keep them for a honey extraction demo.

I accidentally put a couple of frames that had no wire in (was for cut comb) in the extracted with the other (wired) frames. They both survived with apparent damage to them. I was possibly very lucky...so wouldn't want to send you in that direction if it goes wrong for you. But I was surprised by the outcome when I realised what I had down.

It was an error on my behalf, but on saying that, it worked out OK for me.

We intentionally extract thousands of combs that are not wired, with no problems, don't use wired frames or foundation in national shallows.

Thank you all. And great idea Enrico.... And jenkinsbrynmair. there's a thing. They know there is a problem, but prefer to rip us off than do something...... like advertising a nail gun. but they dont tell you the make and model number you are getting for your money. if they did, you could google it and buy it more than half the price.... and thats retail. god knows what the wholesale price is. Dont get me wrong, profit is not a rude word, but this is extortion....

Hi Hivemaker

Useful to know that you have had no problems with extracting wireless frames etc. Gives me more options for next year :)

Another possible option for you, then Batcher. Good luck with whatever plan you decide to adopt!

Sally

Hi Hivemaker

Useful to know that you have had no problems with extracting wireless frames etc. Gives me more options for next year :)

Another possible option for you, then Batcher. Good luck with whatever plan you decide to adopt!

Sally
Thankyou Sally..

Name and shame them, they might bother to do something about it if no one buys from them.

You can use Sellotape to keep the lids in place. Use one piece on each side.

You can use Sellotape to keep the lids in place. Use one piece on each side.

Or print some anti-tamper bands and stick them around it, or ordinary postage labels and print a best before date on as a reason why the label is there.

Chunk it and put it jars with honey, then charge double, simple!
E

This is exactly what I did when I found myself in a similar position. Looked great and yes, twice price, as I put big chunks in 1/2 lb jars and topped up with my extracted honey. Will sell for about same price as 1lb jars!

Lots of good options here though. I share your frustrations over the suppliers though.... :banghead:

As JBM stated, the old (separate lid) containers sold by Thorne (and I believe Paynes and Maisemore, maybe others) have had issues for a long time with the lids not fitting.

Thornes new 'Crystal' cut comb containers (with hinge-attached lid) are fantastic.

If you want to extract unwired foundation, you can -- IF you are very careful.
It is more likely to be successful if you use a radial (rather than a tangential) extractor.

Thanks itma. I may try those, but will complain in the hope I may get an offer if I try then.. :). Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Recently extracted about 20 unwired super frames with a radial extractor- only one broke up. Similar failure rate to wired frames... (though I was taking it slower)

There are plenty of containers on ebay for sale but mostly they seem to me to be too big..Described as 500ml at 170mm long.
There are also some square hinged lid clear food containers which might show off the product better.
ebay search... Plastic food container.

Hi.
.... Alas, the container lids that I bought from a well known supplier do not fit the containers.... One corner always pops up.
Same thing here i bought mine on the cheap from big T -bad move! I'v been using tamper evident lid stickers to try to hold the lids down.Kind of works-ish

Latest posts

Back