Excited Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony19

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Now 2
So, normally my main hive has reasonable activity at the entrance with bees coming and going in a sedate manner. About every two and a half to three weeks they seem to go a little mad and loads start buzzing around outside the entrance for about a couple of hours then everything calms down and back to what I preceive to be normal. This may be a little simplistic but could this be the new foragers orientating on their first flights out of the hive, or is there another reason?
I would point out this hive was from a nuc about 6 weeks ago and there's definitely plenty of room in the BB.
Thanks again, I'm sure the answers out there!

So, normally my main hive has reasonable activity at the entrance with bees coming and going in a sedate manner. About every two and a half to three weeks they seem to go a little mad and loads start buzzing around outside the entrance for about a couple of hours then everything calms down and back to what I preceive to be normal. This may be a little simplistic but could this be the new foragers orientating on their first flights out of the hive, or is there another reason?
I would point out this hive was from a nuc about 6 weeks ago and there's definitely plenty of room in the BB.

Hi Tony , I would say it's young bee's.. do they look furry ? That's a good indication.
It's a wonder to watch . Bee's can act like that a bit when the honey flow starts also.
Your observations are right .
Cheers mark.

I would say young bees as well, especially as you observed 3 weekly cycles.

Thanks all fir your quick replies, that's reassured me I'm on the right track.

Back