Entrance Size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antipodes

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
This is a photo of an entrance and floor (bought from a shop) assembled by me. I've only just noticed that the entrance is not very high. That is a 6.25mm (approx. 1/4 inch) drill bit and it is a reasonably snug fit. Width is about 150mm (six inch). Ignore the migratory lid sitting above it as it is just stored there at present.

These are usually about 10mm high. I have glued, screwed and painted it so it would be a pain to take apart.

Is this too constricted as an entrance for spring and summer ventilation and nectar drying? Usually I have no ventilation holes in the lid...(even though the lid photographed does have ventilation).

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_191408141.jpg
    IMG_20190714_191408141.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 93
This is probably one of italia's queen constricters!!!!! Seems to be a common thing down under according to him!
E

Sorry EricA, forgot to say that I have solid floors only. Does that alter your advice?

Yes...I'm in Tasmania.

Enrico...I reckon just a manufacturing issue in China with this one!

Sorry EricA, forgot to say that I have solid floors only. Does that alter your advice?

Yes...I'm in Tasmania.

I don’t run solid floors so can’t comment from experience

When I started all my hives were on solid floors, the only issues were mold on the outer combs. If the bees think the entrance is too small they will enlarge it, which they did with one floor I had with a small entrance. I ended up with a nice curved edge on the brood chamber above.

Yes...I'm in Tasmania.

Working bees out in Southern Africa - solid floors, smallest entrance (about an inch or two) no holes in crown board, tin roof - bees coped fine

Thanks Jenkins. That's good to know.
As a matter of interest, what size entrances are commonly used in the UK with solid floors and no holes for ventilation (other than the entrance)?

It looks like the entrance is about 10mm x 200mm, which equivalent to a square entrance hole of about 45mm square. My recollection is that Tom Seeley found wild bees preferred an entrance in a tree cavity of about 40mm diameter (or square - can't remember which) but not miles away from what your 10mm x 200mm entrance gives.

On that basis, I'd say that the bees should be able to cope, ventilation-wise, with your entrance.

CVB

As a matter of interest, what size entrances are commonly used in the UK with solid floors and no holes for ventilation (other than the entrance)?

Not sure to be honest as I have OMF on most of my hives here, the few on solid floors have a one inch entrance full height and are usually small colonies or overwintering hives. I intend to play a bit more with floors next season.

Yes...I'm in Tasmania.

I think Hivemaker here has some of his on solid floors. You could ask him

Latest posts

Back