Electric meter not working

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
I got a knock on the door this evening when i got home from a meter reader wanting to read my meter.

We opened up the box on the wall to take the reading to discover that there are no numbers showing, ie no reading was able to be taken.

Anyone got any ideas as to what will happen? no idea when it stopped working, on idea when it was last checked by the elec company either.

electric meters

I believe it is the duty of the energy provider to replace the meters on a regular basis if you have been away for a while you must argue against past quarterly use good luck.

Any lucky they'll give you a smart meter.

Similar thing happened to me just before christmas.

The electricity company arranged for the meter to be replaced (no cost).
I was told that they would estimate my usage for that quarter,
However when the lady electrician came to install the new meter the old one was working again.
She took the reading off the old one, and then installed the new one.
She said the reading was accurite as these new meters have memory circuits.

I was quite happy with this, especially as I didnt have to pay for any work :)

the apparatus for gas and electric is the responsibility of the services, and all work on them is at there cost, unless you ask them to replace the meters or move them, if they cannot get a reading then they will estimate your bill on previouse meter readings hope that helps doug

Smart meters are another nail in the coffin of freedom. They will soon know everything about everyone. Your phone will tell them where you are and have been, your electric and gas meters will log when you eat, have a regular cup of tea or coffee, etc etc. Next would be smart water meters and then they would know just about everything!

My outside light flickers and doesn't work properly in really cold weather, like the past week. As soon as it gets warmer its OK. Maybe its the same, affected by freezing temps.

My outside light flickers

A flourescent presumably? Some don't like the cold. If it happens to be an incandescent, the wiring/fitting needs checking.

Its a 2d 28w 4 pin, is that a fluorescent? Glad I didn't change it then, they are pricey lamps.

She said the reading was accurate as these new meters have memory circuits.
I was quite happy with this, especially as I didnt have to pay for any work :)

Errr, such confidence, they also have displays and apparently, from your report, they have been known to fail from time to time . . . :)

@Suzi Q, could it be that at sub zero temperatures your outside light is actually reporting back to a higher authority, or your near neighbour is a radio amateur and only gets to play on the radio when it's too cold to be out working :)

@Suzi Q, could it be that at sub zero temperatures your outside light is actually reporting back to a higher authority, or your near neighbour is a radio amateur and only gets to play on the radio when it's too cold to be out working :)[/QUOTE]

Have you been at the wacky weed? :rolleyes: Anyway, there is no higher authority, just blind chance, as the random flickering of the light demonstrates.

Smart meters are another nail in the coffin of freedom. They will soon know everything about everyone. Your phone will tell them where you are and have been, your electric and gas meters will log when you eat, have a regular cup of tea or coffee, etc etc. Next would be smart water meters and then they would know just about everything!

You sound like my wife :)

Stops people knocking on my door I'm good with it.

Latest posts

Back