Drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim1606

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I thought i would put a couple of mini nucs in our back garden, as we usually place them in an out apiary for mating. This was done just to see what results i would get.

Today i found about fifteen drones all dead with their sexual organs showing as in the picture. Can anyone say if this is because of the result of our queens mating?

View attachment 4090

View attachment 4091

Not necessarily. I found a similar number in similar state lying with their wings glued to the pet. jelly on the varroa board of a hive the other week. I expect ecstasy wasn't on their minds :(.

Thanks for sharing these images...very educational,

All the best,
Sam

Don't their (I find it hard to type this bit) sexual organs snap off during the act? I imagine that spent drones are a little less well adorned than these guys.

Don't their (I find it hard to type this bit) sexual organs snap off during the act? I imagine that spent drones are a little less well adorned than these guys.

Indeed. I was getting to that bit but got delayed by the phone (yes, at this time) and looking for my library pics of active drone bits so to speak from my II forays...wonder what I called them? And they would be lacking.

<If drones left their manly bits behind after mating how could the qeen experience multiple mating?>

You're thinking like a human, not like a bee.

A virgin queen returning after her nuptial flight brings home many 'dangly' bits still attached which house bees remove.

Last edited:
<If drones left their manly bits behind after mating how could the qeen experience multiple mating?>

You're thinking like a human, not like a bee.

A virgin queen returning after her nuptial flight brings home many 'dangly' bits still attached which house bees remove.
. From pics the guys have their tackle half pulled out, we have all been there eh? Will ask Celia Payne when I see her this week. Can you cite references to removal of male organs by house bees as I want to follow this up, it is very interesting and cannot find this mentioned despite seaching 'Apicultural Abstacts' for 20 years back?

. From pics the guys have their tackle half pulled out, we have all been there eh? Will ask Celia Payne when I see her this week. Can you cite references to removal of male organs by house bees as I want to follow this up, it is very interesting and cannot find this mentioned despite seaching 'Apicultural Abstacts' for 20 years back?

:lurk5:

Back