Drone eviction following artificial swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Last weekend our inspection revealed 8 queen cells, all with grubs and ready to go. We did an artificial swarm, and all seemed well. However a snoop round the bottom of the hives tonight (four days later) reveals a good number of dead adult drones and perhaps a dozen almost-mature drone larvae that have been taken from their cells mid metamorphosis and evicted from the hive which contains the developing new queen and (mainly) Non-flying bees. I'm 95% sure none of these larvae are developing queens from torn down queen cells: the eyes are characteristically drone. We have had lots of drones for at least three or four weeks now, but not an abnormal number, just a build up for spring.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or may be a le to offer a clue as to what is going on?

Any answers or thoughts would be welcome!

LJ

I would think they have been chilled and died, and possibly also abandoned by the bees beforehand - drones being a luxury they can no longer afford with fewer bees and colder weather.

1/ The swarming impulse at the end of March/start of April kind of screams out that your brood box is too small. Double National and you would have not got the swarming impulse.

2/ Do not expect any new queen to get a mating in April unless you Airmail her to, maybe, Cyprus or Greece.

MB did you not notice the op is on 14x12? Advising a change to double national might not be the best course of action. There are other reasons for
swarming
Eb

I agree it is the cold killing them, wait a week and we will have all the newbies asking about chalkbrood. There will be a flourish of it after this weather. ( I know it is meant to be a virus but ...... )
E

You meant to say a Fungus (Ascophaera apis). Chilled brood and brood that is exposed to high carbon dioxide levels more likely to get chalk brood (less likely with mesh floors due to good ventilation). Some strains of bee especially highly interbred Apis m.m more vulnerable (ie genetic susceptibility)

I agree it is the cold killing them, wait a week and we will have all the newbies asking about chalkbrood. ( I know it is meant to be a virus but ...... )
E

You meant to say a Fungus (Ascophaera apis). Chilled brood and brood that is exposed to high carbon dioxide levels more likely to get chalk brood (less likely with mesh floors due to good ventilation). Some strains of bee especially highly interbred Apis m.m more vulnerable (ie genetic susceptibility)

What a laugh!

As not even a despised newbie, I was niggled by the dismissive tone of Enrico's post.

Then I saw the mild-mannered correction in the subsequent post by masterBK.

Reminded me of a conference I once went to. On the front row were about half a dozen nuns (don't ask). The speaker was an arrogant young bloke, wandering majestically across the platform, trying to impress. Half way through his talk, the Chair discretely passed him a note; from then on, he stood rather more quietly behind the podium. The message on the note? "Your flies are undone".

Dusty.

Can I have a reference please?

Really sorry about the tone, you are right. I read it back and it sounded awful....... Only excuse is I am a prat.
I mean to encourage not to be dismissive. Slap wrist!
E

Really sorry about the tone, you are right. I read it back and it sounded awful....... Only excuse is I am a prat.
I mean to encourage not to be dismissive. Slap wrist!
E

Forgiven.

(Official)

Enrico, it's good to have people around who respond as you did.

D.

Latest posts

Back