Draw type bee hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi every body Iam a new member to this forum and was wondering if any body out there as any information, or better still plans of draw type hives as used in bee houses on the continent.
I have just completed the build of a shed, ready for next season, I use commercial hives and would like to be able to inspect the brood chamber without dismantling the supers,and releasing loads of bees into the shed.
Thanks in anticipation of a lead or information

Berendei pavillion ( Russian). There are some videos on youtube.. Interesting..

" Пчелопавильон берендей "

I ... was wondering if anybody out there as any information, or better still plans, of draw type hives as used in bee houses on the continent.

You mean like this one?
http://keepingbackyardbees.com/the-slovenian-beehive-arrives-in-the-us/

Rear opening hives are quite common in some Eastern European countries, yes. I've never seen actual plans, and I must say that I don't quite know what mechanism is used to keep those frames up (while making sure you can get the frame out easily and still maintain beespace all around).

The "Slovenian" hive uses frames that have a running groove at the top of bottom, so that gives you a clue about how the frame slides in and out of the hive.

I ... would like to be able to inspect the brood chamber without dismantling the supers, and releasing loads of bees into the shed.

Yes, I imagine having a rear opening hive that opens into the shed will result in fewer bees flying towards you, if the shed is dark(ish) inside. I have seen this in old drawing of bee houses as well -- the bee house is fairly dark inside, and the beekeeper would take out a frame and then go sit at the bee house entrance in the sun while checking the frame.

Many thanks to you all.
I now have a good weekend, of further reading in front of me.

... and would like to be able to inspect the brood chamber without dismantling the supers,and releasing loads of bees into the shed.

I don't think you necessarily need a drawer-type hive inside a beeshed, or that you will have fewer bees flying about inside the shed by using them - but using a deep long hive will also free you from using supers, and you can probably adjust your present hives to become long hives. I think these people use long hives based on Langstroth frames.

Kitta

Thanks Kitta
Sorry for the time to reply,
Great idea but I am afraid the foot print would be to large for the shed, I do need to go vertical with boxes
Therefore a shame. I am looking to use Langstroth in the form of a Slovenian AZ Hive

Many thanks
Dougie

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has experience of using these AZ hives. How well do they work and how easy are they to operate; are key questions? The advantages are obvious, but what of the disadvantages?
Hubers book hives are not in use now, would the AZ suffer a similar fate if alternatives were available?

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has experience of using these AZ hives. How well do they work and how easy are they to operate; are key questions? The advantages are obvious, but what of the disadvantages?
Hubers book hives are not in use now, would the AZ suffer a similar fate if alternatives were available?

Many still work with AZ hives at my place. Especcially migratory beeks. More hives can fit in container. Cosy to work under the roof. You work with frame, not with boxes. In winter, bees are in one compartment. Usually is with 2 compartments ( one brood and one honey). Lately started to have three levels. And upper third usually is used for new colony-nuc within same box.
Not least important You don't have to lift heavy boxes to reach brood - just open the door and brood is in front of you.

My mentor has AŽ Grom ( "Thunder") with 11+11 frames ( it is something of three deep lang boxes size). But he is abandoning them as he works with langs mainly. Also to have two different standards within operation - complicate situation.

AŽ hives are more expensive than lang ( more than double price for hardware), complicate to make on your own. For me are slower to work. Need shelter. More complicate to treat with oxalic, or to place strips..

Yields are as same as with any other hive type. But must admitt, when look such big frames with capped honey it looks nice.

It has advantages against langs due its construction to work in container.

eThank you for reply Goran. There is a gentleman I meet occasionally who wishes to keep bees, to do so it will be necessary to have them in a shed. I shall make him aware of this hive type and of your comments.
I personally find the concept quite fascinating and tempting to investigate further. There seems to be no reason why the ironmongery/hardware could not be fabricated in a metal shop. Some photos seem to show hinges on the inside and near the top of the door, what is the reason for that flap?

Edit; Just discovered there are two flaps, one at the top and one at the bottom and that they are for ventilation.

Last edited:
50 years ago we had many bee houses. I have been in such and it was terrible happening.

Very dark to see inside the hive, laying and so on.

In those days bees were black devils. They needed much smoke.
It was quite a gas chamber to work inside. No one has build them later.

i wonder how they for example do an artificial swarm.

Thank you for reply Goran. There is a gentleman I meet occasionally who wishes to keep bees, to do so it will be necessary to have them in a shed. I shall make him aware of this hive type and of your comments.
I personally find the concept quite fascinating and tempting to investigate further. There seems to be no reason why the ironmongery/hardware could not be fabricated in a metal shop. Some photos seem to show hinges on the inside and near the top of the door, what is the reason for that flap?

When You mentioned that, I never thought about that. I think only as ventilation, when needed. Now I forgot how it stands at my mentor's AŽ hives. Last I was watching them more was in 2014. when mentor did some inspections while I was at his apiary.

On a pic, one shed ( low tech or low cost..). Back side "shed wall" is down when don't work with them. Later when need to inspect lift up and you have shelter above when work with.

Attachments

• AZ.jpg
    AZ.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 14
I think that that guy is not real beekeeper. He keeps his hives in total shadow.
Perhaps not. It seems to me this person is a shed-maker and that the shed is an empty show bee house - but some years ago I saw a website about a similar shed in a London park, and spoke to one of the people involved with it (which is why I think the hives are based on Langstroth hives). Perhaps the shed in the park was in a better position.
Kitta

When You mentioned that, I never thought about that. I think only as ventilation, when needed. Now I forgot how it stands at my mentor's AŽ hives. Last I was watching them more was in 2014. when mentor did some inspections while I was at his apiary.

On a pic, one shed ( low tech or low cost..). Back side "shed wall" is down when don't work with them. Later when need to inspect lift up and you have shelter above when work with.

Thank you for the elaboration Goran. I see there is a book on the AZ hive translated into english. I shall ask the ever helpful Jerry from north Yorkshire to get me a copy.

Latest posts

Back