Double queen help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malx

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
HI, newbie beekeeper here.
I have one colony which are very very aggressive and have been for quite some time. No queen, eggs brood seen for a very long time. Have tried introducing a frame of eggs but nothing happened.

Bought a new queen last week and put her and cage into the hive. I checked on her tonight to see if she was free and she wasn't, however on the frame she was on there are lots of sealed brood/larvae.

I've not seen another queen and due to the aggressive nature of then It's very hard to inspect.

So my question is what would you do with the cage with the new queen?
Do i take a frame of eggs and bees and add it to a nuc with the caged queen?

Yes, make up a nuc, you can add emerging brood and nurse bees from your other hives

Thanks for the reply.

Can i mix frames of brood/nurse bees from two hives or should i just take from one?

I'm assuming that i need two frames of brood + 3 shake frames of nurse bees + Feeder with syrup. Grass in entrance of nuc.

Just went ahead with what i thought was correct.
2 frames of brood from a queen right colony and a stack of nurse bees. A feeder full of food and the queen in a cage in the middle.

Over time, can i add another frame of bees in a week or so to make sure i added enough workers?

Yes add another frame of emerging brood if you can .
It's not to late in the season for them to build up for the winter.
However, it's a lesson in how to interpret the use of a test frame.
PS how do you tell if you have a frame of "emerging" brood?
I always look for emerging bees

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back