Do you use a queen excluder?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use a queen excluder?

• Yes all the time (only taken off for winter)

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Some of the season

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I thought i would try the QE instead of clipping, as you know my Queens are not yet clipped, they are however only coming up to the end of their first year, so should not really be swarm-tastic. (got fingers crossed as i type).

There is no set age when they may swarm,any queen that has been through her first winter is liable to swarm the following season,some even do it the same season. With some it does not matter what you do unless they get rid of the swarming impulse,you have to do more than both clipping,or queen excluders.the impulse has to be sattisfied,or some manipulation until it passes.

Sweetums this is not a choice you can make. Clipped Q's merely mean you are less likely to lose the swarm.

Neither Excluder or Clipping will havre any or much effect on the swarming desires of the colony.

Once in swarming mode the urge HAS to be satisfied in one way or another, there is NO choice in the matter at all.

One is well advised to have in hand a plan and the equipment on hand to carry it out on your apiary site so that when you see cells you can get on with it there and then.

PH

Latest posts

Back