Do bees take pollen/nectar from cut flowers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sibutcher

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Its the 4th November and my girls are as busy as mid July? They are bringing in loads of pollen of various colours and I assume nectar. I walk my dog every morning and all I can see is ivy flowers. Although, I did see some flowers on brambles this morning which is bizarre. I live adjacent to the east london cemetery. Would it be possible for my bees to be collecting stores from there?

That explains it then. East London Cemetery is the biggest cemetery in England. Plenty of new cut flowers every day.

There was an alleged case of honey adulteration investigated a few years ago by trading standards due to unexplained non native pollens found in a sample. It was later proved that the bees/ hives concerned had been foraging on cut flowers in a large cemetery quite a distance from the apiary.

This explains why I am getting so many different pollen colors today! I was thinking therre must be loads of different ivy types. The graveyard nearby is supplying free pollen from around the world. Result

My local nursery sells imported cut flowers .
there are so many bees visiting them that the owners erect signs stating do not worry about the many bees, they will not bother you !

Latest posts

Back