Do bees overwinter better in nucs or hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry_Mob

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
Both are poly. I have a strong nuc, trying to decide whether to get it in a hive or leave as is.

I'll tell you next year..ha ha .. i will be making two Nucs up next week for insurance from two strong colonies all depending on mated Queen availability of coarse..
That’s my dilemma. The colony is doing ok. Not great but having helped at the association today I realised that mine was no weaker than theirs. Actually quite strong in comparison.
I could move them in a nuc but they are settled with stores. Hmm.

That’s my dilemma. The colony is doing ok. Not great but having helped at the association today I realised that mine was no weaker than theirs. Actually quite strong in comparison.

If the colony is only going ‘okay’ in my opinion you needto look at why. Is it the colony, varroa, disease, available forage etc. Sort that out and if small put in a nuc and grow to fill a full hive.
S

I'd say if they're filling a nuc now they'd be better off in a full brood box. Whilst it's good to have your bees fitting their hives going into winter, overcrowding brings problems of its own.

Both are poly. I have a strong nuc, trying to decide whether to get it in a hive or leave as is.

What's to decide. If it strong then move it on. It's only the beginning of August so there's another 4 brood cycles till end of October. Feed if necessary to keep the queen laying.

If they where mine i would leave them in a full size box but move them into a poly brood box with a poly roof.. it will help them get through winter and they will build up quicker come spring time.

Not a problem. Three frames of brood overwintered last year fine in Paynes poly nucs.

A good question, bees overwinter fine in poly nucs but this early on it would be quite possible to promote a nuc into a hive, feed to get extra frames of brood and split again before Autumn.
Fwiw many of my nucs made last September with a frame or two of brood and a laying queen had overtaken many overwintered full size hives by mid May this spring.

try a double height poly nuc nuc. i.e. full volume but half the plan area. They have for expansion/stores yet have the lower heat loss.

"Like"

I built a stack of five poly nuc bodies this year, never seen bees so happy but it had to come down. They are now in three brood boxes.
New nucs are in triple stacks and will go into Winter like this.

:iagree:
Double/triple poly nucs do really well through winter in my experience, as well as any other time of year!

Or full hive dummied down to suit with a block of kingspan
Last year I ovrtwintered a 5 frame 18mn plywood Nuc with a kingspan jacket.
It built up fast and when I hived it in early May I just made up to 7 frames + insulated dummie boards, expanding as the bees needed. I’ve since split and now have that hive on double brood (14 frames of brood at last inspection) the splits are on full size hives for winter.
So in reality what size box suits the size of your colony?
A full hive using dummie boards imo gives more flexibility and less messing during spring build up.

Thanks for the replies, I ordered another Abelo hive so should get them moved across later this week when it arrived.

I agree Derek. No need to transfer them into full sized hive. Add another nuc box. Move a frame of brood up into the new level and replace it with a comb. All of mine winter in at least two stories, and many in three. Right now the brood factories are in 4-5 stories and will be taken down to three after the goldenrod flow...we'll harvest a box or two of honey. They do winter well in the vertical configuration.

Even in my thin walled American timber hives. :)

Back