Do Bees forage close to home

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere that bees don't forrage close to home to prevent unwanted attention from robbers:confused:

They will forage close to home in late winter early spring when temperatures dictate short flights.
It is worth planting crocus en masse near the hives.

Well, they will forage close to home at any time of year providing there is an attractive enough source of pollen or nectar, in fact "right outside the front door" will suit them just fine - minimum effort for maximum returns is natures way.

However if the returns / effort equation means it's better to miss out some close sources for others that are more distant, that is what they will do, or at least that is what most will do.

Chris

Well, they will forage close to home at any time of year providing there is an attractive enough source of pollen or nectar, in fact "right outside the front door" will suit them just fine - minimum effort for maximum returns is natures way.

However if the returns / effort equation means it's better to miss out some close sources for others that are more distant, that is what they will do, or at least that is what most will do.

Chris
:iagree: mine on blackberry flowers about 8ft away

Certainly foraging on privet within 5 feet of my apiary.
If your plant is not so enticing it will be ignored in favour of a higher pollen/nectar yield.
Crocosmia is ignored in my garden.
cazza

Hi All,
Been wondering the same myself. However, mine are presently working the white clover in my lawn. So, whilst my lawn was nice and tidy during all the rain we had. Mine is now the only one that needs cutting! Give them another few days in the heat.

Bees forage so much in neares flowers that no plant can exrecete pollen or nectar so fast.

There's been a few on the lavender in the front garden but I think they aren't mine. My bees are dark and these were quite yellow.

Do Bees forage close to home, the Garden as lots of these in flower at the moment (Crocosmia Lucifer) full of nectar but not one bee is bothered with them... any ideas why ?

Link to photo of the flower http://www.flickr.com/photos/petezab/2706796381/

I have that flower in my garden and the bees don't seem too interested, but they love the wild meadow flowers (poppies, teasel etc) and the runner bean flowers.

Mine have been on borage 2 ft in front of hive entrance I only see a couple on it though and it has lots of flowers

Bees forage so much in neares flowers that no plant can exrecete pollen or nectar so fast.

Could be why i dont see any bees on the bramble within 100yds or so of the hive ;)

I planted a third of an acre of Borage and Phacelia 20 yds behind my hives just through a tree margin and its been teeming with honey bees for weeks. Bumbles and other pollinators have mullered it too !
Pete D

I think it depends on time of day for certain plants too - but certainly not with bramble - they're there dawn to dusk! I've let the geraniums go wild all over the borders of my garden since discovering the bees liked them last year - they come to these from mid afternoon and stay til late. They love the borage which are on the plot next to them, but I have seen the bees soaring high over the roof of the houses bordering the allotment - I guess these must be going for the lime trees

We have our bees all over our garden.. Lots of poppies, wild geranium, rasps, phacelia, borage etc..

When my bee trees are fully grown, I expect more of the same.

We didn't see many bees in the garden, apart from bumbles until we had to move the hives to an out apiary in May this year.
Since then the place has been full of honey bees.
We've always had the garden full of bee friendly plants so nothing else has changed. (I'm sure the neighbour who asked me to move the hives thinks I've still got them hidden away somewhere!)

Back