DLW question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i have a nuc which was raising a queen and went to inspect to see if a mated queen was present

on opening nuc i found larvae which i thought was odd given that it would have meant the emerged q mated very quickly....

i couldn't find a queen but the eggs were at the bottom of cells and i didnt see multiples, but, i am suspecting a LW so will leave a few days and check again

here is the question....i did see a worker fully reversed into a cell. It was not emerging as clearly no brood but it was fully into the cell and face up....i touched it and it came out

is that a LW in action or do bees reverse into cells for lots of reasons?

Would it be impossible that the Q is mated and laying by now?

If there are only single eggs, and they are at the bottom of the cell, that would seem most likely to be a queen?

I don't think worker bees reverse into cells for any reason apart from LW though (PS: there would be lots of LW, not one), so not sure what you saw (unless that was the queen :) )

Sounds like you caught one (of potentially a few) LW in action. Did you look in the cell after?

thanks BB....there is a chance....two weeks post date of emerging....small number of bees so easy to find q and yet failed....i will leave it a few days to check again and to see if the developed larvae, develops into drone or not (dark comb too and need to check again for multiple eggs)

was definitely a worker in the cell hence my interest in asking question

yes...and an egg in the bottom!
One workers does not lay lots of eggs in one cell ( and they can be at the bottom) she lays one egg and other laying workers come along and lay another.
A small number of workers lay eggs in a normal colony and the house bees then eat them
The only way to tell is to look at the capped brood.

thanks Dani and Anduril

interesting and thanks....i am pretty close to 100% certain that this was a worker...will keep an eye on it and respond on here when brood develops

so no other reason for a worker reversing into a cell that people know of it seems, v helpful

If it’s 2 weeks from the date of an emerging virgin as you say, I’d suspect you have a laying queen. Ian

thanks Ian

yes, could well have...but to share my thinking and anxiety i had a few red flags
  1. it was 14 days from emerging, so was hoping to see eggs, although possibly a bit early given foul weather. What i saw was quite large patches of 7-8 day old larvae so if a queen, she was out and mated quite rapidly and during a cold, wet week - slight red flag/surprise
  2. a queen/king cell charged and drawn to nearly capped which i thought was odd as there had been a capped QC and had a queen emerged etc, there shouldnt be a QC...another red flag
  3. small numbers of bees on frames and not able to see a queen
  4. a worker completely backed in to a cell and an egg in the cell when it exited - red flag and hence question for initial post i.e. are there other reasons a worker completely reverses into a cell
will obviously hope to find a queen when i go back in to look for multiple eggs or brood becoming domed etc to confirm

thanks Dani....lets hope so...two weeks to raise and cap a QC (marked the frame it was on) and then two weeks post emerging so a month, but take the point, two weeks of the 4 had a capped QC

it's the worker reversed in which prompted to ask the Q

will keep an eye on them

Latest posts

Back