DiY homey spinner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donks87l

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Has anyone ever tried making there own honey spinner?
I was thinking if I could get or make a cage to hold the frames I could do it all in a homebrew bucket using a drill for the odd one or two frames, as it already has a hole in the lid.
Only problem is I can't find any pre made cages for less than I can buy a full unit for?

I was thinking if I could get or make a cage to hold the frames I could do it all in a homebrew bucket using a drill for the odd one or two frames, as it already has a hole in the lid.
Only problem is I can't find any pre made cages for less than I can buy a full unit for?
You would have to control the rotational speed very carefully and accurately. Too fast and you risk blowing out the wax from the frame due to excessive centrifugal force (Been there. Done that!). Too slow and you are unlikely to get an efficient extraction (Been there. Done that too!). Another thing to consider is the radius of the arc described by the frame. (How big is your bucket?) A short radius would require a higher speed than a larger radius. Then, the faster things turn, the more interesting the results!!!

Another problem you may have is maintaining balance between the two frames. I have an ordinary hand cranked extractor and that still shakes about when I start winding the handle.

You would have to choose your construction material carefully. Plastic is unlikely to be strong enough to contain the drive shaft and its supports. Mild steel would not really be suitable due to potential rusting problems. Stainless steel is ideal and 307 grade is quite acceptable. You would have to ensure that your construction can be thoroughly cleaned. Stainless steel like other metal is no longer cheap.

I'm all for construction and engineering ones own equipment (I have a well equipped machine shop) but sometimes a cheap massed produced item is far more time & cost effective than designing, building, testing, breaking, rebuilding, modifying. etc.

Of course, if you are simply looking for an excuse for the sheer joy of building something that you can eventually use. Just GO FOR IT, hang the expense and share your journey here.

Malcolm B.

Last edited:
Redwood on here built his own as well, still uses it (I had acquired some plans to build a home made one and I shared them with him) I think Paul still uses his over a decade later but then, he is a bit of an artist when it comes to metalwork - he even made his own S/S cage for it.

I have made my own electric one out of an old basic nylon E.H.Taylor three frame tangential extractor but was fortunate at the start of my beekeeping life to acquire it for a tenner. However that tenner investment has seen nearly £300 on upgrades and mods but is now the perfect extractor for my needs.

I soon found the tangential not very efficient and long winded , a replacement S/S nine frame radial cage from Thornes at £90 fitted perfectly and for quite a few years I was happy with it . Then again I needed some screens for deep frames so another £90 for three screens fo a radial option as well.
Before lock down I converted it yet agian to DC voltage with a Nema motor and controller etc,etc so think about another £90 thrown at it.
I didn't need to spend out on a 36v battery as I had and old one from an EAPC/pedelec that although the volatge sagged for cycle use it performs perfectly for the 3 -4 amps I need for the extractor.

Last edited:
I made one once out of an old spin dryer, I was trying to spin out crushed heather honey, oh what a mistake that was😆
I used an old upright spin dryer (still have it). Mashed heather honey comb and put it in a drawstring nylon filter bag and spin. Comes out lovely . Only caveat is to line the drum inside with stainless mesh to prevent the nylon filter bag trying to squeeze out of the larger holes in the drum.

The best pair of home built extractors were at John Whents, built by himself and both were swing baskets as far as I remember.
John has also built his own hive lifter.

I had similar thoughts when started beekeeping 2-3 years ago. In my opinion better to save up money and save yourself the trouble. At the end I bought a Vevor 3 frame electric extractor. Was around £175 in the sales last year. Worth every penny.

Thanks for the replies everyone,
Half was wondering if I could as I like making stuff (I find it more enjoyable) but obviously if I can get one cheap I might do that.
I can borrow a proper one off the BBKA. But just wondering. I might give it a go when I get some spare time.

Latest posts

Back