Difficult swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga5321

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Good morning all

Picked up a large swarm last night about 21.30 no issues but the property owner was adamant that they had been about for at least three days in different spots all fairly close to the spot I found them.

Anyway...got them settled on stand about 22.30ish but when I opened the entrance all hell broke loose...very defensive - pouring out of hive etc. Though I would leave them be and all would be calm this morning..I was wrong. Still very defensive couldn’t (didn’t want to ) get any closer than about 20m. Lots of bees in clumps on outside of hive I think there are still many more inside.

My neighbours will not be too happy if they don’t settle there is only a hedge between the hive and their home.

Any advice?

G

Thanks for reply and advice...

Moving not an option for me...no out-apiary sites.

G

If you can't move them and they really are bad, then ask your local association for some help.

update....
They left the original box and about half took up residence in a swarm trap this morning....they left it again this evening!! They just can't seem to settle anywhere. The remnant decided to pick fights with my existing colonies and anyone who came too close. I have never experienced anything like this...Anyone had similar issues with a swarm?
G

nope. might you have damaged or killed the queen?
do not take any of my 'advice' for gospel but what if you had forced them to stay by closing them in for a couple of days with sugar feed? Might be my worst idea ever. over to the better beekeepers on here.

Hi ga,
Nothing on your scale. I had one that swarmed five times, but had to come back because of QX - which had to come off. They swarmed into a nuc and it turned out there were two queens in the initial swarm. I think we sometimes hive them before they have sorted themselves out, but then if we don't they may end up in someone's cavity wall.

Thanks for good advice and replies

I could cope with the indecision...it was the aggressiveness I was most concerned about. Anyway...main group moved on....I'm left with about two good frames of bees in the original hive. I'll check tonight for a queen. Hopefully they will settle down.

G

When I first started keeping bees I had what I thought was an aggressive colony. I asked my very experienced mentor for advice and he mischievously said "petrol" - he helped me requeen.
As I gained in experience I realised this colony was only "feisty". It has come to petrol once. It was a really aggressive hive in a warre. I could not face going through the warre to find the queen. Sad but practical. Not had such an aggressive colony since. With selection of my own queens my bees are now quite laid back

I re-hived a swarm two weeks ago and they were pretty feisty the following day just walking past the hive.

Closed the entrance down to a single hole and top fed with 25percent syrup for three days and they calmed right down.

For what it's worth.

Back