Developers show an alarming disregard for wildlife and are negligent of our environment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ordinary citizens are also known to put up ugly netting and plastic streamers on their houses because they dislike the droppings and 'mess' of bats and house martins more than they like seeing these creatures close-up. It beats me... I can't wait for the martins to return.

Many gum trees are cut down here. They are their own worst enemy really as they tend to get very tall. They seem to get cut down when they reach the peak of their majesty and beauty.

How are the birds protected by stopping them nesting in the trees? I've never seen anything like that before.

Many gum trees are cut down here. They are their own worst enemy really as they tend to get very tall. They seem to get cut down when they reach the peak of their majesty and beauty.

How are the birds protected by stopping them nesting in the trees? I've never seen anything like that before.

New build developers net hedges and trees before the nesting season begins so they can take them out to lay an access road to their new estates.

Wow, that is interesting. So they are not supposed to cut a tree down with a bird's nest in it? Is it a particular bird that is a concern or is it any bird that might nest? Is it that those particular trees attract one type of bird perhaps?

They also get in very early in the year before birds have started nesting.
Developers want the easiest way to the largest profit - like most businesses I suppose. They make the profit and move somewhere where it does not affect them.

Just to cheer you up round here there has been (apparently) grant money for new hedges and within range of my hives, there are at least two miles of new hedging gone in. Species include hawthorn and dog rose. Not sure about the rose but the hawthorn is very welcome.

PH

New build developers net hedges and trees before the nesting season begins so they can take them out to lay an access road to their new estates.

I've seen netted hedges in my area , the net has been cut three times now and cable tied back together. Some locals are not happy .

Just to cheer you up round here there has been (apparently) grant money for new hedges and within range of my hives, there are at least two miles of new hedging gone in. Species include hawthorn and dog rose. Not sure about the rose but the hawthorn is very welcome.

PH

Around Truro cathedral they have placed logs and homes for solitary bees as they have in many areas also a few years back they planted grass meadows on the bank outside my house first year looked loverly second year was mostly giant Daisy’s now back to just grass but they tried!

We have problems here with keeping parrots on the planet, most notably the swift parrot and the orange- bellied parrot. The swift feeds on nectar from the eucalyptus tree (e.ovata and e.globulous) so those trees are important to keep. They also happen to be a great source of nectar for the honeybee. Our eucalyptus trees in Tasmania are the tallest flowering plants in the world. True giants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swift_parrot

It's tree hollows that it needs too. Dead trees are important too for that reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange-bellied_parrot

Just three females left on the planet in the wild a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
We're in a new estate - formerly a farmer's field. Tends to be the case around here. The even newer estate over the road (There are loads in my area) had the hedges netted prior to taking them out to put the access road in. I have since been in the estate and there are plenty of trees planted in there - more than the hedge before.

Granted, the houses are taking space of what could have been crop, but still, the developer has put in more plants & trees than there was previously in the form of hedging. In this instance at least.

Wouldn't it be nice if for every metre of hedge ripped out a minimum of 2 or equivalent was planted before hand.

Not if the local ecology suffers for the 5-6 years it takes for the new hedge to support the species that the old hedge did.

+ if the birds (that predate on the bugs living in the netted vegetation) are being excluded aren't we due for an insect population explosion in the areas subjected to netting.

:spy:What is the legal status regarding damage/removal of the nets?

Not if the local ecology suffers for the 5-6 years it takes for the new hedge to support the species that the old hedge did.

+ if the birds (that predate on the bugs living in the netted vegetation) are being excluded aren't we due for an insect population explosion in the areas subjected to netting.

:spy:What is the legal status regarding damage/removal of the nets?

When "the law is a ass" civil disobedience and direct ACTION against the offending PLASTIC WOULD SEEM TO BE DEMANDED.
Point well made about time it takes for newly planted hedging and trees to become useful to all sorts of wildlife - I was only thinking a year or two when I said "beforehand" to tie in with any planning consent given.

Developers are just greedy low life. Huge estates destroy and they can plant what they like, it would take many years to make a difference. Nobody would argue that housing is not required but it's the way this new housing is planned that's the problem. New development that practically creates a new village is simply devastating, not too far from me, on the way to Cardiff they have begun building 8,000 new houses. There will be no local shops provided, this already busy road will become another nightmare as another 10,000 + cars choke the environment.

In some planning applications a developer seems to use a " tame " consultant.
A very wordy report (or sampling) can seem to show no problem for the development.
The consultant gets a fee and hopes for further work.

Latest posts

Back