Developers show an alarming disregard for wildlife and are negligent of our environment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many miles of hedgerow here in the Greatgregreengreaseytamarrivrevalleyall set about with empty second homes...............

Was a proposed scheme by a local grant funded quango to remove all the bits of wood from the hedgerows when they were " smashed to bits" when having the annual "trim"

This was to be collected by "volunteers" ( Young offenders) and turned into woodchip to fuel all the local schools, community housing ( for old people etc) village halls etc etc and any surplus sold to fund more local schemes....

I challenged the scheme ( that made me popular) citing studies that proved removal of any bio material from the environment causes that eco system stress.. even collapse.

One North American study proved that removal of salmon by line fishermen was having disastrous consequences for the delicate woodland and forest in the upper salmon spawning grounds of the river system.

The quango brought in Dr of this and Dr of that.... none were Dr Environmental Science........

Scheme was abandoned!

If you are prepared to make a stand against something obviously wrong .... DO IT

Yeghes da

Just switched off Nadya Hussain, (who didn't realise Otters have webbed feet).
She and the BBC were promoting otters crammed in a crate with rope tied around their necks as conservation?? :banghead::banghead:

More B0ll0c£5 from "Auntie"?? :cuss:
Where was Mr Packham when they filmed this?

Just switched off Nadya Hussain, (who didn't realise Otters have webbed feet).
She and the BBC were promoting otters crammed in a crate with rope tied around their necks as conservation?? :banghead::banghead:

I had a chicken tarka for dinner last night, it was like a chicken tikka but a little otter

Just switched off Nadya Hussain***, (who didn't realise Otters have webbed feet).

***That journalist / presenter makes Kate Bumble look like an environmentalist!!
IMOHO of course!!

Chons da

IMG_20190414_143825.jpg

It would take a big net to cover this magnificent Eucalyptus viminalis (white gum-flowers every 2-10 years). They are mature poplars to the left of it, turning a beautiful yellow as winter approaches. I was awestruck gazing up at this huge tree. Up to 30kg of honey per hive in a forest of these big flowering plants. A beautiful tree.

View attachment 16745

It would take a big net to cover this magnificent Eucalyptus viminalis (white gum-flowers every 2-10 years). They are mature poplars to the left of it, turning a beautiful yellow as winter approaches. I was awestruck gazing up at this huge tree. Up to 30kg of honey per hive in a forest of these big flowering plants. A beautiful tree.

You would be surprised how many big Eucalyptus trees there are in Solihull, seem to thrive.

It is interesting that they grow well outside Australia....I suppose they don't have the same insect pests and pathogens as here. Tough trees that can take a big climatic and soil range depending on the type and also the dominant nectar source for bees in Aus. As I type I'm looking at a huge Tasmanian Blue Gum with flower buds all over it....waiting for some rain to flower. A couple of years ago the truck and chainsaws turned up ready to cut it down before a last minute reprieve when someone pointed out the local laws regarding eucalypts.

Bovis bow down 22 March 2019 - a statement
"In response to community concerns about illegal activity by third parties involving vandalism and destruction of property on our Cam site in Gloucestershire, Bovis Homes is removing netting from the hedgerow at this location.

We do not wish to compromise the health, safety or security of the communities in which we work, or that of our own people, and have therefore taken the precaution of removing the netting, and will not be using it at any of our other locations.

We now hope to get on with the important job of delivering much-needed new homes for our communities – including properties designated as affordable housing for the benefit of local home seekers.

Environmental considerations will remain a central part of our work – both during our operations and in the ecological benefits our developments deliver permanently through the planting of trees and vegetation, and the creation of wildlife corridors."

Latest posts

Back