Detering Bees From A Water Source.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
I have a bit of a dilemma with the Staffy Whippet killing my bees, i am not there at the moment but my lady friend has lost count of the amount the dog has killed today,it is a hunting dog with a high prey drive and once something has bitten her or stung her it makes her want them even more.

The bees have loads of other spots for water but they have chosen a dripping tap in the garden and also what has me puzzled they are landing on a plant pot in good number where the dog russell cocks its leg (why would they do that ? ), anyway is there something i can spray the plant pot with and the area with the leaking tap.
Cheers
Steve.

there was some discussions here some time back about how good cattle licking blocks are in a container of water, apparently bees loved the nutrients.

Yeas ago my Australian friends had a barking cattle dog called "Woofa".

It turned out the bees were annoying him by drinking from his water bowl so he and bowl were moved and the barking stopped instantly.

Cure your drip. KISS

PH

One of my books says they like water with some salt content - maybe something to do with that...

Funny how us humans are supposed to have a hygeine qualification to handle this regurgitated dog piss and aphid crap (and nectar)!

Yeas ago my Australian friends had a barking cattle dog called "Woofa".

It turned out the bees were annoying him by drinking from his water bowl so he and bowl were moved and the barking stopped instantly.

Cure your drip. KISS

PH
You come and tell the neighbor then to remove her outside tap and tell her dog to stop peeing on her own plant pots and the job will be a goodun, i am trying to keep it simple silly by finding a spray that will deter the bees.
KISS.

One of my books says they like water with some salt content - maybe something to do with that...

Funny how us humans are supposed to have a hygeine qualification to handle this regurgitated dog piss and aphid crap (and nectar)!
I was thinking the exact same.. :icon_204-2:

Why don't you offer to fix the leaky tap for the neighbour.

Thanks for that BUT nope i not fixing someones tap or asking them to get there dog put to sleep to stop it pissing on the pots, any sensible folk out there that can recommend a spray of some sort to DETER bees, i was thinking skin so soft or clove oil but i am unsure. And why do they like dog pee so much..:D

any sensible folk out there that can recommend a spray of some sort to DETER bees

Try spraying a small amount of diluted benzaldehyde on something very near to where the bees are a problem, similar to almond oil, bees really hate the stuff and prefer not to go anywhere near it.

Niche uses
Benzaldehyde is used as a bee repellant. A small amount of benzaldehyde solution is placed on a fume board near the honeycombs. The bees then move away from the honey combs to avoid the fumes. The beekeeper can then remove the honey frames from the bee hive with less risk to both bees and beekeeper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzaldehyde

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...hvtargid=kwd-247591129&ref=pd_sl_48pqdah7fo_e

anyway is there something i can spray the plant pot with and the area with the leaking tap.
Cheers
Steve.

Stop the tap leaking. That's what we did at the allotment IBCs.
And provide an alternative that you add a drop of lemongrass oil to.

Another possibility: give the bees an alternative water source.

If you can get your hands on some turf/peat dug out of a peat bog, put it in a deep sided tray or old bucket and then add water (rain water works best), just enough to cover the lumps of turf. The bees will be attracted to the minerals in the turf which then leach out into the water. Put the bucket in full sun so that the water gets warmed.

Another possibility: give the bees an alternative water source.

If you can get your hands on some turf/peat dug out of a peat bog, put it in a deep sided tray or old bucket and then add water (rain water works best), just enough to cover the lumps of turf. The bees will be attracted to the minerals in the turf which then leach out into the water. Put the bucket in full sun so that the water gets warmed.

I'm not sure if you read my original post but i stated the bees have other water sources just as close and closer than the tap, there is three natural ponds in the garden with a shallow stream running between them powered by a pump the water runs over moss fill rocks that are damp and above the surface, they are also 20 yards away from a stream and boggy marshland that also has a pond so i think that is enough options for the water sources, Pete give me a good sensible answer as usual so i will try that.

Latest posts

Back