Demise of the Poundshop?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
The missus and I went out for breakfast yesterday and after popped into the local poundshop to pick up some takeaway containers for feeding fondant.
Well the Poundshop has turned into the £1.50, £2, £5, and even £10 shop! Very little is now £1 and the old take away containers which were 8 for £1 are now 5 for £1.50!
I suppose it's a sign of the times but when are they going to rename the shop?

The missus and I went out for breakfast yesterday and after popped into the local poundshop to pick up some takeaway containers for feeding fondant.
Well the Poundshop has turned into the £1.50, £2, £5, and even £10 shop! Very little is now £1 and the old take away containers which were 8 for £1 are now 5 for £1.50!
I suppose it's a sign of the times but when are they going to rename the shop?
That was inevitable, and with inflation making a comeback (apart from petrol and gas, many many things seem to be rising in price each day) it will only get worse.

But plaudits to Poundland who have been selling sugar in 1.6kg bags in order to hit that pound price point. My bees have been very grateful to them

Times move on ... I still have the badge that my late Father-in-law had from his early days at Woolworths ,,,, it says Nix over Six (nothing over sixpence for the junior members on here !). They would sell a cup for 6d and a saucer separately for 3d in order to meet the Threepenny and Sixpenny premise ... Woolworth finally gave way and the original premise established by Frank Winfield Woolworth - moved across the Atlantic from the Woolworths five and dime stores in the USA - was left behind.

Poundland must have found it difficult to meet their original USP of everything costs a pound ...

We solved that problem atound here a long time ago - we just call them tat shops.
The first tat shop around here was established many years ago, possibly the 1980's a local entrepreneur saw a gap in the market (or rather, he couldn't find a stall in our then busy and thriving Friday open market) and he bought the newly vacated building that housed Mainwarings print works which was over the street from the market ground. It thrived for many years selling ex catalogue stuff, cheap tools and any other stuff normally found in pound shops and the like and was known far and wide as Harrods!! It was my grandfather's favourite shop and you'd find him in there every Friday whilst my grandmother stocked up in FineFare which was next door

We solved that problem atound here a long time ago - we just call them tat shops.
The first tat shop around here was established many years ago, possibly the 1980's a local entrepreneur saw a gap in the market (or rather, he couldn't find a stall in our then busy and thriving Friday open market) and he bought the newly vacated building that housed Mainwarings print works which was over the street from the market ground. It thrived for many years selling ex catalogue stuff, cheap tools and any other stuff normally found in pound shops and the like and was known far and wide as Harrods!! It was my grandfather's favourite shop and you'd find him in there every Friday whilst my grandmother stocked up in FineFare which was next door
FineFare - now that takes me back. The first real supermarket we had locally. My parents would make a weekly trip on a Friday evening.

Fine Fare - a successor to the Cinema Palace in Goole before local government "improved" the town centre eventually the main thoroughfare became a pedestrian precinct, trade slumped and shops voted with their feet and moved out. Marks and Spencer long gone, Woolworths gone and the successor business have also vacated the premises. The list of shops that used to be there but have left empty premises continues to grow. Fine Fare tinned beans were a staple in many local diets with a resulting cacaphony of sound. 😷

Reminded me of the Genesis lyrics off “Selling England by the Pound” -3A14F704-5506-44B7-B207-04BB3F77AE32.jpeg

eventually the main thoroughfare became a pedestrian precinct, trade slumped and shops voted with their feet and moved out.
Strange that isn't it? many people point to the pedestrianisation of our local town (Amanford) as the beginning of its decline, I find that strange as you couldn't park on the main street anyway and the pavements were so narrow you would be dicing with death on a busy Friday, personally I put it down to the fact that it's a bit of a sh!thole 😁 :spy: , I did my driving test in Amanford on a Market day morning, the examiner said he wouldn't bother testing my emergency stop as I'd done six of them just driving up past Woolworths!!

Back