Deformed wing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezer

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
An elderly chap who bough a nucleus last September and made it through the winter, keeps one hive and is allegedly being advised by a beekeeper who knows a lot about bees - hmm.

Speaking to him yesterday, he described the miserable circumstances in his hive, varroa being most of the population I gathered.

I asked if he had treated with the usual stuff, he said he was worried about it getting in to the brood - despair!

Are his bees finished.

Are his bees a possible carrier of other diseases.

I have removed my bait hive from the vicinity as I am worried about this.

I don't know what to do about it, he says the bee inspector will come round some time. I don't believe him.

I think he should finish!! Some of these old boys wont listen to hive care in the 21st century.
Poor bees....They will die- needs to shook swarm NOW, treat with Oxalic and then a feed to help them build up.

The bees aren't finished yet and hopefully it's not late. Perhaps you could persuade him into a treatment that won't affect brood A screened bottom board helps with a sticky pad. Powered sugar, not a cure all but will help reduce mite numbers and increase the bees' grooming behavior.

If the colony is that infested and weakened it could be argued he kill and burn them thus removing all signs of disease from that hive. He would have to scorch the hive parts afterwards.

Start over again and learn from his mistake!!!!!!

They will die- needs to shook swarm NOW, treat with Oxalic and then a feed to help them build up.

:iagree:

Spend a few £'s now or spend a lot more buying a new colony... :confused:

Should be a simple enough choice for most people.

Some believe requeening helps, the best management I know of against DWV is keeping varroa numbers at a minimum. Nothing is 100 percent. If it were any treatment wouldn't be necessary. they come back no matter whats used as a treatment.

Die? the only time I'm aware of one must burn a hive or scorch equipment is when AFB occurs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back