Deep national vs standard brood chamber

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have added, my particular vision of beekeeping nirvana for myself was using smiths along the lines of OSB, but probably with excluders thrown in at times, bliss!:angelsad2:

Why not then, go the whole hog and get the sun hive , now that's sunning :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's not much difference in brood area between a 14x12 and a 16x10 ("commercial").
14x12 uses long lugs, 16x10 uses short lugs.
Personally, I don't find the 'squarer' shape of the frame to be an "abomination", and I do prefer the longer lugs.

14x12 can be obtained in poly. 16x10 can't.

Changing from National to 14x12 can be done progressively, whereas 16x10 requires a Bailey or shook swarm.

For "stock control" simplification, I rather like having frame part commonality. Running 14x12 brood and SN5 in the supers, only the sidebars are different between the frames. Simples! And even my Manleys use the same topbar ...

Take the points and prejudices from this discussion, but DO make sure that you get your hands onto real hives running a different frame format *BEFORE* you invest time (and money) changing to a new format.

Try before you buy!

The simplest, most rational way of expanding brood space is to go double brood. I don't like multi-brood, but I can see why others do.
Its also probably the cheapest, smallest change to your operation and yet gives the biggest increase in brood space.
Brood and a half gives the problems of multi-brood without the simple flexibility of double brood. Disadvantages without the advantages, IMHO.

Is anybody going to consider the traits and needs of their bees? Hive type must surely be selected according to the seasonal needs of bees and relative suitability of hives, not the whims and fancies of the beekeeper. A colony will attempt to swarm, assuming even that it is perfectly matched to its environment (guess how bees evolve).

Hive choice must be to optimise and work with the strain and requirements of the bee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anybody going to consider the traits and needs of their bees? Hive type must surely be selected according to the seasonal needs of bees and relative suitability of hives, not the whims and fancies of the beekeeper. ...

Hive choice must be to optimise and work with the strain and requirements of the bee.

Have you noted that the OP has Carnies? :)

I assume that it provides a colony with more room so less chance of swarming which carnolians apparently are prone to. Any advice from anyone here?

Available space is just one factor in swarming likelihood. Swarming is how colonies reproduce and they will do it regardless of hive type, although we beekeepers can try to prevent/control it.

I have 5 colonies in 14x12s, which is the size I started with, but I'm gradually moving some over to Langstroth (Sw1enty poly hives but on wood floors). In 5 years time I'll probably have tried them all and decided I prefer Nationals! It's an ILLNESS....;)

Latest posts

Back