converting National nuc to Langstroth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 plus 12 owned by others
I've done a bit searching here but couldn't find an answer. A mentee is buying a National nuc colony (all that's available just now) but has an empty Langstroth hive. Any suggestions on how to manage the shift? Feel free to point me to a link if that's quicker.

Over the years, I've seen different iterations, one was a langstroth frame with plywood instead of foundation, which made it look like a dummy board. Instead it had a cutout to insert a national frame.

If you can the release the wedge and one of the bottom bars on the national hive frame then have three lengths of plastic coated garden wire long enough to go around a Langstroth frame and lie the langstroth on the flat with its wedge bar removed on top of the wires and then put the national on top of it and cut the wax on the sidebars. The national brood etc should slip out in position n the Langstroth and remove the national frame. The wire loops in the national foundation/comb will be showing so wiggle the wax up into the Langstroth where the wedge goesand put the wedge in and nail, lining up the nails with the loops. Then bring the three wires round the wax and frame and twist them to hold the brood wax vertical and put into the hive. The bees will fill the whole frame over time and with care you'll be able to get the garden wires out if you need to. Hope this helps.

If you can the release the wedge and one of the bottom bars on the national hive frame then have three lengths of plastic coated garden wire long enough to go around a Langstroth frame and lie the langstroth on the flat with its wedge bar removed on top of the wires and then put the national on top of it and cut the wax on the sidebars. The national brood etc should slip out in position n the Langstroth and remove the national frame. The wire loops in the national foundation/comb will be showing so wiggle the wax up into the Langstroth where the wedge goesand put the wedge in and nail, lining up the nails with the loops. Then bring the three wires round the wax and frame and twist them to hold the brood wax vertical and put into the hive. The bees will fill the whole frame over time and with care you'll be able to get the garden wires out if you need to. Hope this helps.
While I would agree in principal as another method, a beginner may find it daunting without help and you missed the part about shaking the bees and queen off the frames.

While I would agree in principal as another method, a beginner may find it daunting without help and you missed the part about shaking the bees and queen off the frames.
I think he’s doing it for the beginner!

Latest posts

Back