confused

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
trying to understand whats been happening in my hive the last month, spotted a supersede cell approx. a month ago but didn't see any swrm cells, so decided to leave alone and see what happened. Then last week for 3 days saw what i assumed was mating flights, on the 5th day the hive swarmed, i checked the hive and removed more swarm cells. what can i expect next ?

trying to understand whats been happening in my hive the last month, spotted a supersede cell approx. a month ago but didn't see any swrm cells, so decided to leave alone and see what happened. Then last week for 3 days saw what i assumed was mating flights, on the 5th day the hive swarmed, i checked the hive and removed more swarm cells. what can i expect next ?

Are you saying you hadn't inspected for four weeks?

MartinL is likely right - unless the colony is very much depleted.

Not unusual. Tell us more about the old queen if you want to understand why.

It may make some others think, too, so you may get some guesses beforehand.

Mark, if you want to 'manage' your bees you need to inspect regularly, every week if queen is not clipped, to make sure that queen cells are not being produced. You then need a plan of what to do if you see them and have all the kit to hand. If you don't do this and keep bees just for the 'fun' of it then prepare for loads of swarms as that is what bees do. From your post it sounds as though you did not do regular inspections once you found a supercedure cell. Mistake!
Oh well, good luck and learn from your results
E

The queen was from last year, I anknowledge it was my mistake, however,circumstances meant i could not check the hive for 3 weeks, another lesson learned. I have to say that some of the answers I have received are often unhelpful and even condescending, thanks to everyone who offers good advice, if you cant manage this don't post replies it will but people off asking for advice. I am learning the art of beekeeping and ultimately the bees were not harmed by my inexperience.

Hi Mark,
This forum can be a bit bruising.

The original cell that you saw - there are guides as to what constitutes a swarm cell or a supersedure cell, (in terms of numbers and placement on the comb) but they are just a guide. Reading on here will tell you that bees do nothing invariably. To make matters worse, a supersedure cell can become a swarm cell. The bees make the best use of it that they can in the prevailing circumstances.

If you have had a swarm and you have killed off all the swarm cells then you have no queen and you have killed off any chance of a virgin to replace her.

My suggestion would be that you ring up your bee keeping association and find out if there is someone willing to have a look at your bees. It seems likely to me that you have to prevent further cast swarms from emergency QCs and look at the possibility of getting a new queen. (It depends on when the main swarm left.) I am sure there are people with far more experience on here that might give you definitive answers.

Bee keepers do get upset when people let lots of swarms go from their nests because the bees have a knack of setting up home in anti-social places, like roofs and chimneys, and causing a lot of damage. That, in turn, gets bees and bee keepers a bad reputation.

Good luck!

Back