Confession and advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do not say what hives you are using. Consider another box for brood? - Rather than the new super they are not yet using. she could still be expanding her nest with this funny year. Full or half?
I agree with someone above. Try not to, but inevitably you will squash the odd one or two no matter how careful you are

You do not say what hives you are using. Consider another box for brood? - Rather than the new super they are not yet using. she could still be expanding her nest with this funny year. Full or half?
I agree with someone above. Try not to, but inevitably you will squash the odd one or two no matter how careful you are

I'm currently on a standard national... My mentor has mentioned he may consider a split in a few weeks to make increase as I'm only on one colony...?

Put them on double brood and then later split them to take two collonies into the winter

Put them on double brood and then later split them to take two collonies into the winter

Would there be time for the queen they would produce to mate or would you then need to purchase a queen? Also, if I go double brood, would I therefore be looking at no honey this year?

Thankyou!

Plenty of time for mating. Size of harvest is related to size of colony, plus other factors of course, but you cannot have it both ways. Likely to get some honey whatever.

Would there be time for the queen they would produce to mate or would you then need to purchase a queen? Also, if I go double brood, would I therefore be looking at no honey this year?

Thankyou!
I wouldn't rush to split them. Put them on double brood, with drawn comb if you have it and see how they get on. A bigger workforce will gain a greater yield, splitting them now will leave you with two nucs. Plenty of time to think of increase next season.

Splitting

I'd love to go double brood which I'd consider very quickly if I wasn't just on one colony, I guess I'm just keen to take two colonies into winter as I'd hate to lose my only one and be back to square one...

Thankyou!

Yes you could purchase a queen and introduce her to the Q- part of the split but always a chance she is not accepted.

You can also go with the bees and let them raise a queen but I think you will need to do the split end of July early August or even earlier if the bees are ready. Plenty of hives supersede at this time so possible for the bees to do this. However the brood break could be 5 weeks and 8 before any young bees in the hive.

If you go double brood (and perhaps in hindsight a step to far for a new beekeeper) I don’t think you will affect your honey crop your hive will remain strong take a small nuc/split now on the other hand and it will be weakened but may also give you a super or two of honey.

If you split the hive in half right now you will get no honey.

There is one other option and still time your bees just may make the call for you and decide its time to swarm.

You have a mentor and thats good he/she is perhaps on the case and the best one call the shots. But no harm in asking the question in this place.

Yes you could purchase a queen and introduce her to the Q- part of the split but always a chance she is not accepted.

You can also go with the bees and let them raise a queen but I think you will need to do the split end of July early August or even earlier if the bees are ready. Plenty of hives supersede at this time so possible for the bees to do this. However the brood break could be 5 weeks and 8 before any young bees in the hive.

If you go double brood (and perhaps in hindsight a step to far for a new beekeeper) I don’t think you will affect your honey crop your hive will remain strong take a small nuc/split now on the other hand and it will be weakened but may also give you a super or two of honey.

If you split the hive in half right now you will get no honey.

There is one other option and still time your bees just may make the call for you and decide its time to swarm.

You have a mentor and thats good he/she is perhaps on the case and the best one call the shots. But no harm in asking the question in this place.

Thanks Tom and all of you for your views.

Just thought i'd update... I did my inspection this evening, took on board people's advice and think i only crushed 1 bee :) so thanks for your help on technique! Was a really good inspection too, am getting much better, I saw the queen which is my second time and quite a feat as she's rather elusive!

Squeeky bum moment of the day: Just replacing last frame when i felt something crawling across my tummy. Didnt panic but knew instantly what it was. Move away from hive and worst bit was had to wait to get rid of bees around visor and head/body before I could take jacket off. Lifted t shirt and there she was, walking aimlessly around on my tummy. Knocked her off and went back to it! I'll e tightening up my jacket in future ;)

Just thought i'd update... I did my inspection this evening, took on board people's advice and think i only crushed 1 bee :)
Well done :hurray:

Was a really good inspection too, am getting much better, I saw the queen which is my second time and quite a feat as she's rather elusive!
Wow! Ever better :winner1st:

Would you like to come and search for my queens? I never manage to see them

Well done :hurray:

Wow! Ever better :winner1st:

Would you like to come and search for my queens? I never manage to see them

Thankyou! She's quite big so on the frame she's easy to spot... I think half the time i open up and she runs off and hides down the bottom somewhere!!! My mentor came over to mark her and neither of us could find her!

Well done with the bee on the tummy, my first sting of the year was just around about there!

Wear your trousers over your jacket, bees climb upwards, doesn't look pretty but who cares!

I had a similar moment when realised that the bee I could see crawling on the outside of my veil was not actually outside and was very close to my eye. As you say don't panic! But was very very careful sealing up the suit next time.

Latest posts

Back