Combining

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleanor20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National 1 TBH 1WBC
I have a small colony which are q-, that I had been planning to combine with another in the next few days but I have just been asked to remove a swarm from someones garden. Assuming that the swarm is cooperative, can I immediately add them to my small q- hive (they are a little way away from my other hives)? What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks

Hi Eleanor,
if it were me I wouldnt wait any longer with the unite as planned, if its definetly queen less then there is nothing to gain by waiting.
I would treat the swarm as a bonus and house it, feed it and monitor it for about 3 weeks. By then you will know if its viable or not, worse case then would be unite it in to another hive. (unless it carrying disease, then worst case is, well worse !)
The swarm is unknown quantity at this point so I wouldnt risk banking on it to answer your queen less problem.

If you decide to unite it anyway, take it in a box, run or deposit it into a brood box and unite them with newspaper.
I would do this on the same day and would put the 'fingers crossed viable' swarm at the bottom of the stack where the old hive is.

I am sure another 5 answers will come along soon, read them all, work out what will be your best course of action and crack on.

Pete D

Latest posts

Back