colony superceding- treat with apiguard?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstroud

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I (like a few others I think), have had some poor results with queen rearing this year. I have a couple of colonies that are superceding- would you treat as usual with apiguard.

I only ask because I know, (and have experienced) how it can sometimes affect the queens' laying. Don't want to bugger it up, if it would be better to delay until spring?

Your thoughts please.
Cheers
Chris

Depends on the relative risks. What is your varroa count? Do you need to treat?

Yes, that's a good point. I have to be quite honest- i've been pushed for time this year, and had stuck apiguard on all hives without checking mite levels. I don't currently treat with oxalic so see the apiguard as my main control- use varroa floors as well.

will try and count the mites, and then make a decision.
Chris

Have you not treated already - as you write "had stuck apiguard on all hives" At what stage is the supercedure? Open queencell, sealed queencell, virgin queen?

My hives have had apiguard on for 1 week. The hive in question has open hatched cells. I didn't spend too long looking for a queen when I discovered them.

My thinking now is that i'll continue to treat and take my chances. The old queen was laying quite well, and if they do end up queenless, I will unite before the winter.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back