Colonies just ticking over

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
We have 11 colonies in 3 different apiaries. This year they just seem to be ticking over with no real expansion. The queens are all either 2021 or this year’s, and every colony seems to be building supercedure cells which they cap and never hatch. They are bringing some nectar back, but not storing in the brood box at all. Colony expansion tended to take place early in the season but now it is at a standstill with some of the queens seeming to be taken off lay. I live in the south west and the bramble is in full flower now so I don’t think that lack of forage is the problem. Any suggestions as to what is going on will be welcome?

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I looked in mine. I’m a beginner so only have last year to compare to, and I only have the one colony now increased to three. All three seem to be just ticking over and not filling the supers up as I had hoped.

I’m in North Wales by the way. Coastal area not unlike Plymouth but probably not as sunny!

Mine are all doing much the same. She lays for a while then stops. Bring food in the eat it. Much akin to the weather pattern. Nosema excluded. Was unlikely as all colonies much the same

Same here, Manchester / Lancashire border & they just want to swarm and supercedure got about 150lb or honey from 3 OSR sites but nothing from my other 2 sites & now having to feed the 3 sites as OSR coming to an end

Most of my Qs are not laying. Some supercedures.
Having to feed this year's nucs.
Two hives with 4/5 supers on : busy eating honey so extracted half.

Similar story at Allotment/Association apiaries
Weather .

I blame Climate Change Activists: bees were expecting heat and did not get it so on strike. Queen Bee told me she's getting tired of broken promises and lies.

None of mine have stopped laying but it has been slow the last couple of weeks. This morning I’ve had to thin some nectar bound frames from nucs and there’s nectar falling out the frames. There’s the start of a decent flow…….SORRY😂

Latest posts

Back