Clearing Bees from Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Credit to @Swarm who has provided most of the experience.

There's been a rather fragmented discussion in the "What did you do in the Apiary?" thread about clearing supers so at a member's request here is a brief synopsis which will go in the STICKIES
Clearing supers away from the hive, rather than over one colony, is a quick way to clear a number of them with just one or two clearer boards.
You need a warm day when the bees are flying. Put a clearer on a hive stand, add supers and top with a crown board and roof. The bees will exit and return to their hive leaving the pile of supers ready to take away the next day.
I've done it and it works very well, leaving just a few bees on the frames.
You can even mix supers from different colonies. They do not fight.
If you have quite a stack you can flip another clearer upside down and put it on top. Obviously you don't put a roof on that.
Perhaps folk can add their experience.

Last edited:
Credit to @Swarm who has provided most of the experience.

There's been a rather fragmented discussion in the "What did you do in the Apiary?" thread about clearing supers so at a member's request here is a brief synopsis which will go in the STICKIES
Clearing supers away from the hive, rather than over one colony, is a quick way to clear a number of them with just one or two clearer boards.
You need a warm day when the bees are flying. Put a clearer on a hive stand, add supers and top with a crown board and roof. The bees will exit and return to their hive leaving the pile of supers ready to take away the next day.
I've done it and it works very well, leaving just a few bees on the frames.
You can even mix supers from different colonies. They do not fight.
If you have quite a stack you can flip another clearer upside down and put it on top. Obviously you don't put a roof on that.
Perhaps folk can add their experience.
I'd probably take some simple precautions against a change in weather i.e. position under a canopy or use some kind of rain deflector if there's a rapid change.
In general terms of clearance and speed I've recently tried Bee Quick on a cloth with very rapid results (minutes)

i do wonder how many young bees you get in supers who dont know their way back
ah, that old myth - even the youngest bees orientate to the hive within days of emergence, and it's a lot longer before those bees are promoted from nurse duties to honey storing duties, so you would not expect to find them in the supers.

In general terms of clearance and speed I've recently tried Bee Quick on a cloth with very rapid results (minutes)
Yes, this is the first season that I've used similar: benzaldehyde - much cheaper than Bee Quick and also very rapid.
https://apcpure.com/product/benzaldehyde-99-5-acs-letterbox-friendly/
Also for the first time I've used Dani's 'away from the hive' method with success.

The stimulus for my change of practice is my inability to take heavy supers off a stack, place a clearer board, and lift the boxes back.

Yes, this is the first season that I've used similar: benzaldehyde - much cheaper than Bee Quick and also very rapid.
https://apcpure.com/product/benzaldehyde-99-5-acs-letterbox-friendly/
Also for the first time I've used Dani's 'away from the hive' method with success.

The stimulus for my change of practice is my inability to take heavy supers off a stack, place a clearer board, and lift the boxes back.
How much benzaldehyde and how long did it take?
I looked at it but was worried it might taint the honey.

How much benzaldehyde and how long did it take?
I looked at it but was worried it might taint the honey.
5-10 minutes. Difficult to say how much because it was all too easy to pour too much on to the cloth so I now put the cloth over the mouth of the bottle and invert. I really need a dispenser of smaller volumes.
If I put the cloths back into my beemobile the residual smell lasts several days but neither I or SWMBO have detected the smell while uncapping or in the settling tank.

yes, works well....i do wonder how many young bees you get in supers who dont know their way back adn therefore drift into another hive
If you are short on clearer boards, you can move supers from one hive to be cleared over another hive and even these bees find their way home.

I was wondering about space - if the colony are huge and your clearing when the flow has stopped is there any chance that robbing bees would try to get in the stack ?
Just like any other supers placed above clearer boards, they are isolated, make sure there are no gaps or holes and tape them up if there are.

You need a warm day when the bees are flying.
This is what I initially thought, but my bees seem to have proved me wrong.
I cleared my last lot of supers in this way, 2-3 supers per hive, across 4 hives. I didn't combine the supers, but had a separate stack for each hive. It started raining on me as I was working, and I was pretty soaked by around 3pm when I'd finished. It rained most of the night and was predicted to rain all day the next day too, so I was expecting I'd have to put off my plans to extract straight away, and give them another day to clear.
However, by just 11am the next day the supers were surprisingly empty. One stack had a couple of dozen bees in it, but definitely not enough to stop me from extracting.
I can only think that without the heat from the brood nest below the supers started to get a little chilly, particularly overnight in the rain, so bees moved down seeking the warmth of the brood nest and only found the way out??
Anyway, might have been a fluke, but it worked for me.

This is what I initially thought, but my bees seem to have proved me wrong.
I cleared my last lot of supers in this way, 2-3 supers per hive, across 4 hives. I didn't combine the supers, but had a separate stack for each hive. It started raining on me as I was working, and I was pretty soaked by around 3pm when I'd finished. It rained most of the night and was predicted to rain all day the next day too, so I was expecting I'd have to put off my plans to extract straight away, and give them another day to clear.
However, by just 11am the next day the supers were surprisingly empty. One stack had a couple of dozen bees in it, but definitely not enough to stop me from extracting.
I can only think that without the heat from the brood nest below the supers started to get a little chilly, particularly overnight in the rain, so bees moved down seeking the warmth of the brood nest and only found the way out??
Anyway, might have been a fluke, but it worked for me.
And it’s to be assumed they found their way back to their colony and didn’t expire in the cold and rain….
I think Dani is right to suggest doing it when the weather is set fair, it seems a little tough on the bees otherwise.

Latest posts

Back