Clear bucket feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I get on pretty well with bucket contact feeders over the centre crownboard hole.. The drawback is that, without dislodging the feeder from the crownboard to feel the weight, there is no way, from the outside, of seeing how much syrup is left. I thought the anwer would be to find a clear bucket feeder but cnnot see such thing exists? Is there a reson why they are always white plastic?

INVOPAK 5 x 3 Litre Food Grade Plastic Buckets with Lid and Handle, Clear, Airtight, Recyclable & BPA Free INVOPAK 5 x 3 Litre Food Grade Plastic Buckets with Lid and Handle, Clear, Airtight, Recyclable & BPA Free : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen
You would have to put your own holes in the lids to turn them into feeders
Thanks @Anduril, I have had some similar in the past but the small nail holes I made in the lid, although well supported with a wedge of wood below when I gently hammered the holes in, caused some cracks.

I guess that the composition of clear plastic is different to white plastic, which may be why only white is available for contact feeders?

Heat a pin or gimp pin until it is glowing then make the holes. Use pliers to hold the pin and use a gas hob or a chefs blow torch and be careful. You may have to do the same process on the other side of the lid.

Thanks @Anduril, I have had some similar in the past but the small nail holes I made in the lid, although well supported with a wedge of wood below when I gently hammered the holes in, caused some cracks.

I guess that the composition of clear plastic is different to white plastic, which may be why only white is available for contact feeders?
Definitely, clear plastic is more brittle and rapidly gets worse. Get a pin over the gas stove and melt the holes through the lid rather than using a hammer.

Edit: Snap!

Heat a pin or gimp pin until it is glowing then make the holes. Use pliers to hold the pin and use a gas hob or a chefs blow torch and be careful. You may have to do the same process on the other side of the lid.
Thank you, good idea, i will try that!

Latest posts

Back