Charged queen cells in top box of demaree after nearly 3 weeks.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon.21

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Little bit confused on this one. On the 5th may I did a demaree. Queen in bottom box then queen excluder, 3 supers, queen excluder then top box (previously bottom box). After a week I went in and knocked down any queen cells in the top box. Since then each week I have inspected and found the marked queen in the bottom box. Today almost 3 weeks later I carry out another demaree on the same colony - I find the marked queen in the bottom box but as I was going through the top box frames before moving it to the bottom I noticed 3 charged queen cells on the front of the comb next to some sealed drone brood. They had plenty of royal jelly and a little larvae in each one. Went through the rest of the top box and no eggs anywhere. Just a few areas of remaining sealed brood.
Thoughts and how this could have occurred as the queen has been in the very bottom box the whole time ? Could the bees have moved eggs up from the bottom box through the queen excluders and supers into the top box ?

confused - what do you mean?

laying worker probably
Hi. Confused because I thought there was no chance of a queen cell after 7 days of doing the demaree as there would be nothing young enough for the bees to work with. I suppose laying worker is an option.

Hi. Confused because I thought there was no chance of a queen cell after 7 days of doing the demaree as there would be nothing young enough for the bees to work with. I suppose laying worker is an option.
no, I'm confused by what you mean when you say you did a second demaree on the same colony within weeks of the first.

Ah I see. I normally do a rolling demaree swapping top and bottom boxes every 3 weeks.

I hope so, no sense in swapping the whole box
ah well I do in fact wait 3 weeks then swap the top and bottom boxes over leaving queen on frame with brood in the bottom box. Hence my surprise that after 3 weeks I get charged queen cells in the top box.

Latest posts

Back