CbeeWing Morphometry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone use CbeeWing with wing parameters for more than just AMM and AM Carnica?

According to Journal of Apicultural Research 50(1): 51-84 (2011) "In our opinion CBeeWing is not suitable for detection of hybridization in A. m. carnica populations". I wonder how useful it is as a tool in general.

Last edited:
UK has such a hive density that those have no practical meaning. '
When a queen mates with 16 drones, you perhaps find from single hive all races.
And what then...

Carnica and MM have very different appearance.

Typical Carnica. The abdomen has sharp tip. MM has round tip.
Bands are clearly visible in Carnica.

Last edited:
hmm, thanks, I see your point, however it is possible that the population of a region is homogeneous. I have looked at wings from a few swarms and other hives within the North London region and all seem to fit in with > 50% similarity to carnica and not match at all for AMM. Which is why I ask re Ligustica. I would like to see whether they are similair to Ligustica at all.

I do not so much wish to use it as a bee breeding tool but more as a population dynamics tool.

-
I think that London is full all kind of bees. There are much places where wild colonies may live.

Population dynamics.... that is impossible without good imagination....

Not sure I am following this one Finski but in general no you are quite wrong.

There are more than a few places where distinctions can be clearly made.

PH

Absolutely right. The UK is not a homogeneous mass when it comes to beekeeping. My conditions here in upland Speyside (very low colony density) probably couldn't be more different to those which exist in London.

It never pays to generalise.

Latest posts

Back