Caught One :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Just thought I'd share...

Saw a swarm last Tuesday as I was walking the dog that came from the apiary that is about 200 metres from my house. Never seen a swarm up until that point and it was a magnificent sight I have to admit. They headed off in another direction from me, unfortunately. Then on Thursday, scouts were around my 2 hives and bait hive, came on Thursday and grew in numbers through the afternoon. Same on Friday, then a few less on Saturday. Disappeared on Sunday as the weather was awful, but been scouts around all day today. All of a sudden, the air was filled with bees! They preferred the bait hive I had in my tree, so I hived them in the National a few hours later and put a piece of QE across the entrance for the next few days.

I just thought I would share as I'm pretty chuffed with myself ATM :). Not the best pic but you get the idea!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 102
Just thought I'd share...

Saw a swarm last Tuesday as I was walking the dog that came from the apiary that is about 200 metres from my house. Never seen a swarm up until that point and it was a magnificent sight I have to admit. They headed off in another direction from me, unfortunately. Then on Thursday, scouts were around my 2 hives and bait hive, came on Thursday and grew in numbers through the afternoon. Same on Friday, then a few less on Saturday. Disappeared on Sunday as the weather was awful, but been scouts around all day today. All of a sudden, the air was filled with bees! They preferred the bait hive I had in my tree, so I hived them in the National a few hours later and put a piece of QE across the entrance for the next few days.

I just thought I would share as I'm pretty chuffed with myself ATM :). Not the best pic but you get the idea!

Enjoy your new bees but do check the other posts on the forum regarding shutting bees in with qe and the potential effects if the queen in the swarm is a virgin. For what it's worth I only ever shut/restrain when moving hives and accept the risk of absconding.

And another little picture...

Shouldn't have those supers on yet surely? Unless they are empty for a feeder of course. Just a thought!

Shouldn't have those supers on yet surely? Unless they are empty for a feeder of course. Just a thought!

Don't panic - they're empty! Feeder going in the bottom one. I only have them on so they all weather the same. Don't want odd looking supers 😀

Enjoy your new bees but do check the other posts on the forum regarding shutting bees in with qe and the potential effects if the queen in the swarm is a virgin. For what it's worth I only ever shut/restrain when moving hives and accept the risk of absconding.

Thanks for that. The QE will be removed very shortly. Don't want to risk losing them!

Well done nice to get one in the bait hive.

1st time I've tried a bait hive. It is on a flat roof area which is part of the porch on my house, so two meters up out of the way. Been there about a month with some interest. On Thursday a big swarm came in. Haven't move it yet, but some of the girls are out even in the drizzle today.

I lost a swarm from my garden last year, so popped a bait hive up in the hope that if they have survived they won't be far away and if they throw out a swarm I would like to tempt them back.

Back