Cast swarm queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Anyone able to confirm that a cast swarm's queen would have been mated before she took to leaving with her bees? or is that wrong.

Cheers

Jez

Jezd have a think about when a cast swarm leaves the hive.

I my experence - No, but as always in these matters someone may have another experience. The new queen hatches and then leaves with a small quantity of bees. Thats why it's important to remove all but 1 cell if your hive swarms. If you leave more than 1, then there is a risk that the hive will cast swarm a week or so later when the new queens hatch.

Expect your queen to be laying in 2 to 3 weeks, if the weather allows for mating flights.

I my experence - No, but as always in these matters someone may have another experience. The new queen hatches and then leaves with a small quantity of bees. Thats why it's important to remove all but 1 cell if your hive swarms. If you leave more than 1, then there is a risk that the hive will cast swarm a week or so later when the new queens hatch.

Expect your queen to be laying in 2 to 3 weeks, if the weather allows for mating flights.

My worry is that if you catch a cast swarm and add a QX to the bottom then you would be stopping her mating.....this would be a big issue.

Jez

I only leave a QE on for 48 hours,they should of started to draw some comb by this time if they are going to stay.

After 48 hours on my return to the Apiary I remove the QE and give them a 4lb feed.

I think one of the problems is if a cast have decided to shift then they will follow the queen out on a mating flight.

Cast swarms are a little que sara sara,hard to shift their way of thinking regards swarming off again.

If you add some brood, even if you loose the Queen you should keep the bee's.

I give my swarms to new beekeepers after I have the queen laying because I have lost count of the number of times I have rung up a new Beek to say I have a swarm for them, only to get a phone call after a few day's saying they have all gone from their nice new hive.

It's heartbreaking for beeks that have been waiting months on the association swarm waiting list.

thanks, may had some brood when i take the QX off

Jezd, I always make sure they have new, fresh foundation to play with and then leave them alone for at least 2 to 3 weeks. I try not to disturb them and up to press I haven't lost a single swarm.

Once they are in - leave them to feel at home. Once they are happy, then they will stay.

Jezd, I always make sure they have new, fresh foundation to play with and then leave them alone for at least 2 to 3 weeks. I try not to disturb them and up to press I haven't lost a single swarm.

Once they are in - leave them to feel at home. Once they are happy, then they will stay.

thanks Mission, I need to remove the QX mind? they have been in the hive for 2 days now with the queen locked in.

Jez

Latest posts

Back