cant believe some people!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
on another bee forum, someone has just posted this looking for help, I left my not very nice answer, but she may have been better pouring petrol over them and lighting.
its as bad as someone buying a dog and trying to fit it in a bird cage

or am I wrong???

Post subject: transfer from a langstroth to a warre hive

hi, im writing for the first time as i'm a very keen but nervous beekeeper. I've had my brood for 2 years, where they have been very happy in a one box langstroth hive. I've wanted to have a warre hive from the beginning and after asking my hubbie to build one last year i finally got around to transferring them this morning. BUT there are questions that i just cant find the answers too. I live in france and noone in the area has even heard of warre and i think just passed me off as a mad english woman! So for the questions: I shook in the bees off the frames into the warre hive, sprawing them lightly with sugar solution. I looked for the queen but with thousands of bees flying around i couldnt find her and thought it best just to get them into the new hive? the bees on the entrance walked in with a little smoking - does this mean the queen is inside? will they have time to build comb and lay a new queen before the bees leave? there were an awful lot of bees left in the old hive and i was unsure as to how to get them out so i left them there and put the frames back in in the same order. - will they be ok as a brood or will they leave to look for their queen. I'm really worried about loosing one if not both hives now.........is there anyone in the area that could help - even by phone?

The poster on the forum needs to read a bee book or six .... RTFM the answer to a lot of the new beeks problems ... but after two years ????

another touchy feely type - a keeper of bees rather than a beekeeper. And determined to stuff them into Warre's abomination regardless (it's obvious from her attitude that she thinks it will be less work) No wonder the French want nothing to do with her

My experience of warres is that in cold climates they are a waste of wood and bees.

I transferred from warre to langstroth this spring : MUCH easier:)

It's hard to believe what they've written.

For example
i researched beekeeping for years before buying my brood
and
I am a beekeeper for the bees and not for the honey

Are you sure it isn't a wind-up?

BJ,

Don't believe all you are told.

There are doubtless some like that on this forum, too.

Ratcatcher,

You should be gentle and reassuring, that all is fine, etc etc, not truthful - she might be on the beginners section! Even if right plonkers, you must not let them know that, or that you know they are!

Pargyle,

What exactly does RTFM stand for? Would that be allowed on the beginners section?

----

Wasn't Warre a frenchman up in the mountains somewhere?
It will be alright. The. Flying bees will return to the lang.

Did she leave a phone number? There are likely some on the forum who may like to exchange notes.

Not sure of the asterisks, Gvb. Can you be more specific for the beginners?

Mods: is this thread inthe wrong section? Needs moving to the beginners section, I reckon.:smilielol5::smilielol5::sorry:

On another bee forum, someone has just posted this looking for help. I left my not very nice answer, but she may have been better pouring petrol over them and lighting.

Why not give her a helpful answer instead? It would seem to me that all she needs to do is to take a frame with eggs/larvae on it, and drop it head-first into the Warre hive, to ensure that they can make a queen, if they don't have one yet. They'll make plenty of brace comb around that frame, but at least they'll make a queen and grow a colony.

its as bad as someone buying a dog and trying to fit it in a bird cage
or am I wrong???

Yes, I think you're wrong. I see nothing in the asker's post that indicates that that is anywhere near the case. It can be difficult to keep bees if you have no mentor to help you out with it.

Latest posts

Back